dana 30 axle shaft question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

dana 30 axle shaft question

ride4lyfe3632

Reaction score
City, State
assonet,ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sas'ed
I am new to this forum so be easy on me please. My truck is a 1994 for explorer with a dana 30 front axle installed. I purchased the axle 2 years ago from a person online not knowing the truck it came out of. after 2 years i finally wiped out the front ujoints bad and removed the axles to replace. I went to autozone and got a pair of u joints for a 88 cherokee which is just a guess because i dont know what year cherokee it came out of. i attempted to install the u joints and they dont seem to fit. Yesterday i went and bought another spare dana 30 for parts and removed the axle shafts. they are different axle shafts then my other dana 30. it would be a great help if anyone could tell me the difference between the 2 shafts and what ujoints go to which shaft thank you. I am trying to find the ujoint for the shaft with no ujoint in it

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

lifeguard379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
sacremento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie bauer 2 door
i believe there are two different u joints, and shafts for the Dana 30. abs and non abs. the abs i think have the bigger joints.whats wrong with the new joints you got? to small or to big?

<

ride4lyfe3632

Reaction score
City, State
assonet,ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sas'ed
the new joints i got are 2 big and cannot get the c clips in
the other thing is the new shafts i got look much smaller than my new shafts and look weaker the circumfrence is different

<

ericautopart

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0L AWD
It's probably a 1310 but just run the BOM # through spicer.

<

4x4junkie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
If the u-joint is too small to fit in the shaft, you need u-joints for a later axle.

'95-'01 D30s use the larger u-joint (Spicer pt# 5-297X = 1.188" caps). '94 & down generally uses the smaller joint (Spicer pt# 5-260X = 1.062" caps).

<

Mdsdriveshaft

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles, IL
I am new to this forum so be easy on me please. My truck is a 1994 for explorer with a dana 30 front axle installed. I purchased the axle 2 years ago from a person online not knowing the truck it came out of. after 2 years i finally wiped out the front ujoints bad and removed the axles to replace. I went to autozone and got a pair of u joints for a 88 cherokee which is just a guess because i dont know what year cherokee it came out of. i attempted to install the u joints and they dont seem to fit. Yesterday i went and bought another spare dana 30 for parts and removed the axle shafts. they are different axle shafts then my other dana 30. it would be a great help if anyone could tell me the difference between the 2 shafts and what ujoints go to which shaft thank you. I am trying to find the ujoint for the shaft with no ujoint in it

Spicer has a great U-joint lookup tool for IDing parts
Spicer Part Number Lookup page

<

The Driver

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
93explore 91ranger
I have a 93 explore sport I need to replace ball joints does anyone know if i need to get a camber/caster adjustment kit that I found on jegs. My explore has pretty bad negitive camber and i dont think that ball joints will fix all of it. Would apperiate the imput.

<