• Register Today It's free!

dana 30 axle

claytonjpc

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis,indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
I have just discovered that my 93 explorer sport has a Dana 30 axle on it. I can't tell if it came with from factory or put on later. I didn't think Ford put Dana30 on an explorer. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you discover this? Spline count? 1st gen Explorers only came with Dana 35 and to swap it over to a Dana 30 would take a lot of work.

I took it to a local repair shop and he showed it to me . I had no idea it was a Dana 30. I am still researching it if it was factory original or not.

But what did he show you? I've never seen "Dana 35" stamped into my axles, beams or differential housing. I'm curious what he said and showed you to prove that it's not a 35.

Also, I knew Dana 30 sounded off... It would have to be Dana 35 or Dana 28 for up front:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml

First gens only ever came from the factory with the Dana 35 TTB up front and the Ford 8.8 in the rear.

So either the guy at the repair shop doesn't know what he is talking about or it has been solid axle swapped with a Dana 30.

It would be pretty obvious if it was a straight axle. There is no such thing as a dana 30 TTB.

Is your truck bone stock or has been modified? Rangers had a TTB 28 or TTB 35 and even a hybrid of the two for a time, but never a Dana 30. Thats Jeep territory... Explorers, as said previously, only had a TTB 35.

Can you take a picture? If it really is a Dana 30 we will be able to tell really quickly.

Back