dana 30 straight axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rednecksoldier

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Hey guys i have a dana 30 straight axle out of a 1989 jeep cherokee. I want to do an sas on my 1991 explorer. Has anyone ever done this and if so what all did you have to fabricate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to our forums. Several guys have done this swap. We have a complete "Solid Axle Swap" registry. Use the "search" button on Dana 30 and you will find they are not the best axle to use for strength reasons but some guys still run them until they can afford to swap in a built 44 or bigger. Check them out here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

this guy never did a writeup in there, but I really like his setup in his registry

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218567&highlight=dana

Isn't the TTB dana 35 stronger than the jeep dana 30?

Yes, and especially a Pre-95 D30 which used tiny joints and CAD :thumbdwn:

Not all Chrokee D30's were CAD (Central Axle Disconnect). The late '80's early '90's and all '97 up D30's did not use the CAD. As for strength, thats debatable. Yes the D35 has a stronger ring and pinnion, but it uses an aluminum housing. The D30 can be up graded with chrome axle shafts and stronger u-joints. I was origionally planning to do a D30 swap on my old '92. My plan was to use the Ried Racing knuckles to eliminate the unit bearings. Another thing you should definitely consider doing is trussing the axle. Treks make one of the best in the industry. It does require removing the stock upper control arm mounts, but it is more than worth the effort.

Ah ok, I am quite familiar with it, but we don't call it cad ever here at the chrysler dealership, not sure why.

D30 hp

I have heard of guys having luck with a Dana 30 High Pinion out of the later model XJ's. Check out the March issue of Four Wheeler, they did a build up on a D30 HP to beef it up for larger tires, higher torque, and rocks. I'm talking to a local shop right now about doing a XJ D30 HP or a TJ 44 with the front part of a Rubicon Xpress Long Travel kit. Nice thing is you'll retain the bolt pattern and track width without narrowing an axle or swapping shafts in your 8.8.

Since I'm still in the planning stages I'm open to feedback from all ya'll with more experience.:salute:

sorry about posting another thread but does anyone know what kind of brackets I need to fab up to make this work

Well, what are you trying to do? Leaves or coils? Home built or rig something from a current kit? There are pros and cons to either. Simplicity, expense and performce. The better performing and complex you get the more expensive. Brackets for a D30 or D44 out of a TJ or XJ are going to be there on the axle and you'll have to adapt the kit you decide to your rig. Don't forget steering, brakes and drive shaft. Look around here at the swaps with D44's from early model Bronco and 150's, seem a little more simple more beef and less expense. Again most brackets are there unless you do the 150/Bronco coils and the longer shock mounts from a 250. Again steering and plumbingfor brakes, but I believe you can mod the stock front drive shaft to work with a different yoke on the D44 pinion.

Yes the D35 has a stronger ring and pinnion, but it uses an aluminum housing.

How many of these aluminum housings are people breaking?

ok so im going to do coils and can i use the brackets off the jeep and just rig them somehow

How many of these aluminum housings are people breaking?

The only ones I've ever seen break are the ones where people use cheap lift kits and no bump stops. They tend to punch the suspension through the pig.

I'd run the Dana 35 that is already in the truck unless you can get a 44 or 60. The 30 is a break waiting for an inopertune moment to happen. They fly apart on lightweight Jeeps...

Ive been meaning to ask you what size tire do you plan on running with that axle?
Also you can't just "rig" things to make this axle fit under the explorer your gonna have to fabricate most of the parts since the axle is set up for a four-link type suspension.
You can however do a radius arm type four-link setup like this guy did instead.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149119

Also if you actually read through some of the Dana 30 SAS swaps in the link Dannyboy posted you'll get an idea of whats required to install that axle.

im probably going to run 35's with 4.10 gears front and back. ive also got a ford 9 inch that i was thinking about putting in the back maybe

im probably going to run 35's with 4.10 gears front and back. ive also got a ford 9 inch that i was thinking about putting in the back maybe

Get a Dana 44. The 30 is barely big enough to handle 31s on a light Jeep.

Yes, some guys get away with it. Some... :thumbdwn: We drag Jeeps with broken axles out of the woods every time we wheel with them... Fact of life.

The 30 has axle shafts about the same size as the Ranger Dana 28. Why go backwards?

Get a Dana 44. The 30 is barely big enough to handle 31s on a light Jeep.

Yes, some guys get away with it. Some... :thumbdwn: We drag Jeeps with broken axles out of the woods every time we wheel with them... Fact of life.

The 30 has axle shafts about the same size as the Ranger Dana 28. Why go backwards?
The "Good 30" has same joints as the D35/D44, but the crappy D30 (which he's wanting to use) has the tiny joints. Not worth it at all IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the reason your wanting to install a D30? Is it because you have one laying around or are you looking for more flex or what?

Back