• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35, 8.8 and 4" lift question

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi all, I just bought for 360$ :D on a complete lift, 4 months old Trailmaster 4", complete with shocks, steering damper, extended pitman arm, D35 3.73, 8.8 3.73 LS, coils, manual hubs, new rotors, drums, brake pads front and back and new rear springs. The 8.8 has the stock swaybar mounts, stock spring perch for 4" and a new spring perch for SOA, soldered. New shock mounts brackets on the back of the axle for SOA. All in all the fabricated stuff is really well made and solid. The rest of the lift is in excellent condition, shocks and all, nothing bent etc.. Now the front axle appears to be from a 95 ranger, its a true D35, however the knucles and calipers are different, the calipers bolt on the knucle instead of using slide pins, also the calipers are dual piston instead of single. So basically, I'd like to know If I'm going to get in trouble with this axle and the rest of the lift. The guy made so that it could be used as a 4" or 5.5" lift using steel spacers he made (this guy really knew what he was doing from what I've seen). Anyways, any suggestions are welcomed as this is my first lift and I want to do it right, none of that death wobble stuff..

Thanks a lot!!! :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it is just what you need! I don;t for-see any major problems with what you listed.

Minivek said:
....a new spring perch for SOA, soldered :eek: .....

...Now the front axle appears to be from a 95 ranger, its a true D35, however the knucles and calipers are different, the calipers bolt on the knucle instead of using slide pins, also the calipers are dual piston instead of single....

Soldered? I hope you mean welded.

And what do you mean by "true" d35? If its the same as an explorer I dont know why you would have any problems.

As for death wobble, just make sure you torque everything to spec and check your balljoints and wheelbearings while everything torn out. Those were my problems when I did my lift.

heheh oops, sorry about the soldered part, I meant welded, I kinda made my own instant translation from french :confused: Keep em comming guys, any opinions are welcomed. Oh and by true I meant its a real D35 and not a hybrid.

BTW whats the width on an explorer 8.8 and where do you measure width?

Thanks

hybrid.... what?

an explorer is something like 59"

People measuer from WMS to WMS which translates wheel mounting surface.

D35 hybrid diff: D35 housing, D28 innards, commonplace on various rangers.

and thnx btw, that's what I measured thinking it WMS to WMS might be right

the hybrid d35 was found on 89-90 bronco 2's and 89-92 rangers(i think)

Back