Dana 35 front diff case"housing size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 front diff case"housing size

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Quick questions, are all dana 35 housings the same size for 1st gen explorers and rangers up to 97?

I know there are two different dana 35 carriers, one with small side gear trunions 9/16" and one with larger side gear trunions 5/8". However is the total length of the carrier from carrier bearing to carrier bearing the same? In other words, will my 94 explorer dana 35 carrier (large trunion side gears) fit correctly in my ranger dana 35 (that had the small trunion side gears) housing? Both use the reverse cut gears so that's alright. I've had surprises so far so I hope that the carrier bearings are the same and that the explorer carrier will just drop in the ranger D35 housing once I switch the ring gears.

Thanks, hopefully this is the last surprise.

has anyone here switched carriers b4?

any opinions?? I'm doin the whole lift and axle change this weekend so I want to solve any unforseen problems now.

thanks, any help is appreciated!!

I swapped the whole pumpkin on mine as a unit to keep from having any problems - I wish I could help you more....

Back