• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 gears 1992

jtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Bronco II
I am in the process of regearing my 1992 explorer front differential to 4.10. I ordered the new ring and pinion from RockAuto. My question is this:

The gears that showed up are the opposite cut from the factory. They are listed as for the 1992 Explorer Dana 35 front axle, but I think they are meant to be for the Jeep Dana 35 rear axle. Obviously the ring gear that I was sent will match the pinion that I as sent, so the vehicle should still move with the set I was sent. Is the ring/pinion direction set up to be sturdier in forward than reverse? Am I able to use the set I was sent?

Part: 2020487
Here is a link to the product:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4956537&cc=1119619&jnid=545&jpid=26

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
- Joe

I am in the process of regearing my 1992 explorer front differential to 4.10. I ordered the new ring and pinion from RockAuto. My question is this:

The gears that showed up are the opposite cut from the factory. They are listed as for the 1992 Explorer Dana 35 front axle, but I think they are meant to be for the Jeep Dana 35 rear axle. Obviously the ring gear that I was sent will match the pinion that I as sent, so the vehicle should still move with the set I was sent. Is the ring/pinion direction set up to be sturdier in forward than reverse? Am I able to use the set I was sent?

Part: 2020487
Here is a link to the product:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4956537&cc=1119619&jnid=545&jpid=26

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
- Joe

When a typical center-section is turned around and used in FRONT, the COAST side of the ring gear teeth become the DRIVEN side, as the front driveshaft turns the opposite direction from the rear. The COAST side of the gear teeth is much weaker than the DRIVE side.

So, the "fix" is to reverse-cut the gears, OR, in some cases a regular rear axle gear set is used, but the center section is mounted UPSIDE DOWN, with the pinion on top instead of bottom.

Are you comparing the "cut" of the new gears to the gears in your front diff., or the rear? If front, check to see whether the center section is mounted inverted. imp

Back