dana 35 on 38.5x15in boggers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dana 35 on 38.5x15in boggers

i want a 1st gen :(

Just wondering why you want a 1st gen explorer so bad. Im just curious to how everyone else sees the 1st gens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i run 33's and broke an axle. cv's are weak compared to the ttb. i am locked though

In my 91 D-35 I run a Detroit Tru track (limited slip). I dont think they are available for IFS D-35. Gen I front diff is a reverse cut gear (ring and pinion), which is what 20% or so stronger. No CV joints, universal joint, same size as D-44.

I should have knocked on wood

Well guys, I had a feeling that as soon as I posted a coment on how well my stock dana 35 was doing, something would go wrong and sure enough............ it did. earlier today I went to go shift her into 4wd and as i rolled forward i felt a lot of resistance and then CLUNK! The differential is not seized up and rolls, but makes a whole lotta noise, something is definatley rolling around in there. So...... I am now looking into doing a solid dana 44 swap (I know, how original) but they have proven themselves tuff cookies time, and time again and is probably what I am going to do next. I am pretty sure I broke the spyder gears, but I wont know until i rip it apart. So it was a sad day, but she went out with grace, by not leaving me stranded or stuck, and lasted much longer than I or anyone else really belived it would. So with that I sadly and reluctantly say my farewell to the ttb :salute:. And if anyone out there is looking to unload their dana 44, I definatley am interested

unless....

Depending on what broke inside the diff cover, I might try and re-build it!

Well guys, I had a feeling that as soon as I posted a coment on how well my stock dana 35 was doing, something would go wrong and sure enough............ it did. earlier today I went to go shift her into 4wd and as i rolled forward i felt a lot of resistance and then CLUNK! The differential is not seized up and rolls, but makes a whole lotta noise, something is definatley rolling around in there. So...... I am now looking into doing a solid dana 44 swap (I know, how original) but they have proven themselves tuff cookies time, and time again and is probably what I am going to do next. I am pretty sure I broke the spyder gears, but I wont know until i rip it apart. So it was a sad day, but she went out with grace, by not leaving me stranded or stuck, and lasted much longer than I or anyone else really belived it would. So with that I sadly and reluctantly say my farewell to the ttb :salute:. And if anyone out there is looking to unload their dana 44, I definatley am interested

Did you ever figure out what happened?

the d35's are so easy to rebuild not to mention you can grab one from a junk yard for cheapo. and swap you goods over.i bet you chipped a tooth on the ring gear.Everyone is so gunho on swapping a straight axle in..but the truth is you can get alot out of a d35 that is built right and they're cheep to maintain if you can do it your self.just my two cents but a d44high pinion would sexy!!you think coils, or leafs?

And if anyone out there is looking to unload their dana 44, I definatley am interested

A Dana44 is hardly any more up to 38" rubber than the D35 was.

I say spider gears. Drop a lunchbox locker in there and start saving your pennies for a D60.

Finally tore it apart! Suprizing rezults!!

Alright guys, Im sorry its been a long time since my last post... just been workin a lot and very busy with things. Plus I diddnt really know what to say. Anyway, about a week ago I finally got a chance to open up the differential to see what I broke, because winter is coming up, and Im going to need my 4wd! So, as Im taking off the front i-beam i realize that not the usual color diff fluid is coming out (and i had just changed it maybe 5,000mi ago) it was that milky, grey chunky, watery color (just the kind of thing you want to find). So as the "fluid" drains, I realize that nothing really seemed out of place, and much to my surprize found nothing broken, no twisted metal chunks... nothing! On closer inspection I find that every one of the bearings in the differential is rusted, and siezed up... not allowing the front end to rotate when 4wd was engaged. So I replaced the bearings and put her all back together and took her out for a test run. And she worked flawlessly! The mighty ttb lives to fight another day!!!

anyway, im very happy i get to keep telling everbody that im running those tires on stock axles!

anyway, im very happy i get to keep telling everbody that im running those tires on stock axles!

i didn't know 4.88 gears came stock :rant:

Haha just playing with you man, I run 35s and everyone tell me that's a time bomb. Good way to shut them up :thumbsup: haha

Sounds like you may have got some water in there. Did you extend the breather hose?

Sounds like you may have got some water in there. Did you extend the breather hose?

now i did, but it was like 2 inches tall before. but now its all the way up by the ac compressor.

That's a good lesson for me. I still need to do that too. :)

Just wanted everybody to know that the ttb dana 35 is still running strong! no problems what so ever!

Just wanted everyone to know that the ttb dana 35 is still running strong! No problems whatsoever!

thats awsome man.. i know they are a lot stonger than people seem to think.

How bad do you rub on the radius arms at full lock? I'm thinking of
Going up to 38.5" tires after I lift more. I think running some 15" wide tires would look nasty. There's a yoda near my school running 35" x 15" wide swampers, looks bad ass

How bad do you rub on the radius arms at full lock? I'm thinking of
Going up to 38.5" tires after I lift more. I think running some 15" wide tires would look nasty. There's a yoda near my school running 35" x 15" wide swampers, looks bad ass

Honestly t doesnt rub that bad on the radius arms, it does a litte bit on the sway bar though. but it really depends on what offset your wheels are, mine are -44. the further you push the tires out, the less problems you should have. Are you planning to run 38.5s on a dana 35, or do you have a sas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly t doesnt rub that bad on the radius arms, it does a litte bit on the sway bar though. but it really depends on what offset your wheels are, mine are -44. the further you push the tires out, the less problems you should have. Are you planning to run 38.5s on a dana 35, or do you have a sas?

the further out you push the tires the more strain you put on the wheel bearings though, i think.

Back