• Register Today It's free!

dana 35 or 44

xplrsport01

Reaction score
City, State
Chantilly, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
im thinking of doing a solid axle swap sometime in the hopfully near future but i don't know if i should go with a dana 35 or 44 and how i would hook up the stearing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you mean a 30 or a 44. I would go with a 44. bigger brakes bigger bearins bigger ring and pinion. steering is easy, reove your rack and pinion and install a steering box. Some tubing and tie rod ends it is in.

if i get a dana 44 and do the swap i wana use leaf springs what springs should i use?

Search....this topic has been covered already.

RockRanger said:
do coils it is easier.

haha. depends who your talking to.

Coils/Leafs everyone has their own opinion, I think leafs are easier but ive never done one so take from that what you want.

Im going leafs mainly because of cost im using 7 leaf wagoneer springs
search for skunk's SAS thread, he has a 2nd gen with a d44 SAS and waggy springs.

With leafs the steering is what gets you. To do it right you end up spending some coin. Ask section how much he has in his steering. I have done leafs and think coils would be easy. Next go around I will be swapping to coils.

Ill agree with that, skunk has had issues with his steering. Im going to look into coils but I doubt it, ill just get flatops and keep a true crossover/hysteer in the future.

You know the more and more research i do into the coils vs leaf springs...and more recently airshocks, i think its all hype. Looking at stic-o's sas really changed my mind on coils. Now iz has airshocks, it doesnt seem all that hard. I think i might change direction and go towards airshocks seeing how much flex iz got from his.

the hardest parts the planning, if you can figure out the suspension geomnetry you could do whatever you want. IZ had some skills figuring all that out, i dont so im going with nice easy leafs. (plus its cheaper)

Back