• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 or Dana 28

MooseCat

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
How do I find out if I have a Dana 35 or a Dana 28 front axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try searching ;) -- but its a 35, Explorers never came with 28

dana axle's

The guy at my parts store is pretty slick and he asked that question when I was pricing the ball-joints. So it's a 35 for sure?

The guy at my parts store is pretty slick and he asked that question when I was pricing the ball-joints. So it's a 35 for sure?

99.8% of all explorers came with the Dana 35 axle.. Its easy to tell a Dana 35 apart from a 28. The dana 35 in the picture below has a smooth upper ball joint that is held in place by a pinch bolt. On a Dana 28 both the upper and lower ball joints are threaded and held in place by a large castle nut.
Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

Isnt the 28 only on the older Rangers?

...The Dana 28 is in older versions of Rangers, yes...In 1990 they introduced the Dana 35...The hybrid version can be found in 90 - 97 Ford Aerostar AWD's and in 93-97 2.3L Rangers...This can be recognized by it's smooth pumpkin...

...The Dana 35 hybrid is a mix of the Dana 35 housing with Dana 28 parts...:(

...None of the Explorers came with either the Hybrid or the Dana 28...

Correct, the Dana 28 was used on Ranger/BII's up to 1990. 1991 on, the Explorers all got Dana 35's, and Rangers got either Dana 35's or Dana 28/Dana 35 hybrids (Dana 35 exterior parts with Dana 28 "guts"). Because aftermarket parts store computers lump all of these into "Ranger based vehicles" the computer will ask the question. Programmers/database managers I guess find it easier to ask than trying to keep track of every combination and also account for the 0.2% exceptions.

dana diff's

99.8% of all explorers came with the Dana 35 axle.. Its easy to tell a Dana 35 apart from a 28. The dana 35 in the picture below has a smooth upper ball joint that is held in place by a pinch bolt. On a Dana 28 both the upper and lower ball joints are threaded and held in place by a large castle nut.
Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

thank you all very much I will get better as time goes on

Back