• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Regear - pinion shim?

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
Ok, so I have finished my 8.8 regear, and started on the Dana 35. It's a 1992 Ford Explorer.

Question is, the shim under the big pinion bearing is a slinger shim. It's like 4.45 inches across. This is a big shim, but there is nothing like it in the rebuild kit I got from Yukon. If I need to drop my pinion lower than this stock shim allows, how do I do that? Can I get big shims like this? Why are they not included in the Yukon kit? Is there something I am missing...

Correct me if I am wrong, the pinion depth is set with the shim that is b/w the gear end of the pinion and the big pinion bearing. I got a boat load of shims for the carrier adjustment, and another big pack of shims, but I am not sure how this works. Am I missing something about pinion adjustment in the Dana 35?

Oh yeah, that big shim got wrecked when I took the pinion bearing off... anyone know where I can get another one? Ford is no help and the gear places don't seem to know what I am talking about...

The pinion depth is set by the shims behind the rear race of the pinion bearings. That is how the yukon kits work and I don't know why they change it up. To fit them you will have to make a master race, grind around the outside so that i will slip in and out of the recess in the carrier.

The slinger was behind the bearing right and not behind the race? If you take the shim into any good gear shop they should have them left over from other installs. If they don't know what they are keep moving and don't ask that shop to work on you stuff.

Edit: with a little looking I found one for a Dana 30 but the idea is the same

Check out this:Click Hit Ctrl+F and then type oil slinger. Look around a little on dana's site Dana Literature and you should be able to come up with a part number to cross reference.

Back