Dana 35 set up question HELP!!

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Anyone set up their Dana 35? I am having a problem getting a pinion shim. The manual calls for shim placement( actually a selective fit oil slinger ) between the pinion head and the bearing, but the shims that I got ( I ordered from two seperate places and they sent me the same set odf shims) are much too big for that, but they look like they would go behind the race? Anyone have any insight for me?.

Thought Id add that the gears Im putting in are 0 and the existing are marked +1 so Im looking to add .001" do you think I should assemble it and check the pattern first on the chance that they will be OK?

answering my own questions

You can use the rear Jeep Dana 35 shims behind the inner oil slinger and the race.
I got a quote for 79.00 for a new oil slinger set which seemed really high for some shim stock. The Dana 35 rear shims were 5.00 - and I didnt use them anyway! Anyone else ever set the front diff up? What did you do?

Yes again -I set the gears up using the same pinion shim and the pattern looks good. I kinda thought since shims usually come in .002 increments that I shouldnt have much trouble with a .001 difference between old and new pinion. Looks pretty good backlash of .006. nice pattern now I need to do the rear.

Back