Dana 35 TTB C-Clip Eliminator Thoughts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 TTB C-Clip Eliminator Thoughts

Fixedgear74

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Tahoe, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4d 4x4
So I have to tear apart my full front end to replace a bunch of parts (Ball Joints, Wheel/Spindle Bearings and seals, Tie Rods, Rotors and Pads, Axle Pivot Bushings, etc.).
I have already upgraded the U-joints, front diff bash guard, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker, boxed the passenger side beam, will be opening up the axleshaft window (passenger) to deal with the axleshaft rub and the passenger slip yoke mod (grind out some metal to allow for better flex).
I have searched through the forums and read all of the posts on what I need and how to do it.
I already have the spring/collar (2 sets actually) in case I decide to do the mod.
What I want to ask is for the ones that have done it what is their feedback (issues or benefits (I understand the main benefit)) and for the ones that haven't (why they decided not to). Or has anyone performed the mod and then went back to stock.
I will be tearing into this project within the next week or so (waiting on parts and frame jack stands) and am on the fence with this mod.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it
I cant go back to stock since I have ARB locker that will not allow the C clip
Now I know there is a Jeep version of the TTB dana 35 ARB that will allow the c clip....but not mine.
So for the last 20+ years I have run the c clip eliminator
First I simply welded the dust cap closed and put a spring inside the slip yoke. This took about 12 tries to get the correct spring tension and lenght....worked pretty well! But once in a while under full droop (Ie catching a bit of air in the BII or hitting the whoops a little fast) it would come apart....my Dana 35 ttb is not stock, custom beams, custom outer axle shaft pass side.... so it was hit or miss.
I blew the welded dust cap off the yoke about 4 times, the yoke is cast so not easy to get a weld to stick too. Eventually I heated up the yoke, and full welded a metal washer on top...that one held the longest but still eventually gave out and the axle came apart...spring gone, etc.
So last year I finally ditched the internal spring setup and added the two piece collar design with the lawn equipment spring........it works AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not hesitate to run this setup, so far it has not come apart the stubshaft /pass side axleshaft stays put now FINALLY

No need to be on the fence DO IT
I can remove my entire pass side axles hafts and work on them on the bench same as drivers side...........the two piece collar and spring keeps tension perfectly.
I do NOT have a boot over the assembly now, I need to add one. A shock boot should fit over the whole deal nicely
Ill snap some pics

Thanks for the feedback 410, much appreciated.

I did it on mine and @1sicbronconut did it on his. We both used the Echo spring and bolt on collar. I have an Eaton E-Locker, have put roughly 2500 miles on it so far with zero issues. I think the one area of concern that sticks out to me is that the boot doesn't really end up in the same spot nor is it water tight so having sufficient grease in the slip yoke becomes extra important.

yes lots of grease AND I spray the spring collar down with blaster once in a while. Until I get a proper boot on there gotta keep things cleaned and lubed

Thanks for the feedback Shran and 410.
Will keep that in mind when I move forward on this mod, still waiting on some tools/parts that are on order.
I live where I see 4 seasons so water tight, grease and PB Blaster are a necessity.

Back