dana 44/ 9 inch/ 8.8/ confused... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dana 44/ 9 inch/ 8.8/ confused...

feared100

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer XLT
ok possible stupid question here… I am hopefully doing a solid axle swap soon. I am getting a dana 44 and possibly a 9 inch. as a set from a friend. Only thing isssss, the spider gears in the 9 inch are welded. So i wouldn't be able to drive on the road. Can I take out the welded spider gears and get a new 9inch gear carrier?

Also could I just buy the 44 from my friend and just use my 8.8? My jeep friends were saying the 8.8 isn't a full width unlike the dana 44 from a mid 70s bronco.

thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still say stick with the 8.8. Why else would Jeep guys be swapping them in their trucks? ;) Even stock the 8.8 (and even the 7.5's) are strong axles. If you're worried about durability the Super 8.8 chromoly kit is available.

Early Bronco's had a D44 in the front and 9" in the rear if I remember correctly. Jeeps had the D44 rears.

are the 44 and the 8.8 the same width? I was told no lol

Depends, what year is the D44 out of? Up to 77? is about the same width, 78 and newer is a full size Bronco, ~6" wider than your 8.8.

its out of a 74 soooo i dnt need a new rear?!

Nope, but it's not that easy. You'll need to change the lug pattern on thr 8.8 to match the d44.

That's easily done by using wheel adapters or redrill the axle hubs and drums/rotors. I' have adapters I'll be using for mine to match the 6x5.5" Grand Wagoneer bolt pattern and width of the GW Dana 44.

i looked up that super 8.8 from yukon lol. saw the price and said. eehhhh it can wait. nothing crazy on long island. but i bats was telling me that they make the chromoly shafts for around 200 instead of getting the super 8.8 kit.

Back