Dana 44 build-up | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 build-up

Since moving down here to the middle of MO I've gotten back into offroading. I finally paid the X off so now it's time to start some serious mods. I've recently realized that the front gears are shot so I took the plunge and bought an F-250 HP D44. And thanks to ebay, I'm now the owoner of a set of Chevy flat top knuckles and a pair of F-150 hubs and rotors. The build-up of this will take place over the next few months as I can afford the parts I want. I want to do it right the first time and not sacrifice getting it done sooner for the sake of quality. Plans include running the 1/2 ton brakes and hubs for the 5X5 1/2 bolt pattern, 4.88's for 35" tires, probably narrow it to EB or Wagoneer width, high strength cro-moly axle shafts, CTM u-joints, high steer arms, wran premium hubs with their fusable link, a selectable locker (not sure if ARB or other electronic locker), and coilovers. An atlas II is also in the near future to eliminate the AWD. I figured this would be a great b-day present to myself and a way to celebrate paying it off. Now I just need to find a shop to do the fab work for me since we're not allowed to do any welding here on Ft. Leonard Wood. I've still got a lot of learning to do and bugs to work out but as I said, this will be a slow process so I can get out of it exactly what I want. For now, here's some pics to wet the appetite: :D

Attachments

• HP D44 2.jpg
    HP D44 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 971
  • Flat Top Knuckles.jpg
    Flat Top Knuckles.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 939
  • F 150 Hubs and Rotors.jpg
    F 150 Hubs and Rotors.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 962

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a minor change in plans. I'll be going full width instead of cutting the axle down. I realised that they don't stick out as much as I originally thought and if I get some wheels with a little more backspacing I could tuck them in a little. Plus, I have come to see just how hard it it to find a 79 F250 D44 housing, it's got the thicker axle tubes and I just can't bring myself to cut on it. I'll still be running the Cheby flat top knuckles though so I can have high steer. I'll probably end up looking for a F150 8.8 since I already have the parts for mine, that way I can just transfer them over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^Awesome :cool:

wow old thread.....but any updates? This looks like it will be a great SAS.

This has been put on hold until after I get back from Korea in late 2007. :thumbdwn: While I'm over there, I'll be saving up to finish this ASAP once I get back. It has been way too long, but I'm in a tough spot right now to do anything with it. :(

stretch said:
This has been put on hold until after I get back from Korea in late 2007. :thumbdwn: While I'm over there, I'll be saving up to finish this ASAP once I get back. It has been way too long, but I'm in a tough spot right now to do anything with it. :(

Where are you in Korea??

Positive Vibes said:
Where are you in Korea??
I'm not leaving for there until the start of August, but I'll be going to Camp Casey. Time to go play with the 2nd Infantry. I was just getting ready to really start focusing on getting this SAS done by the end of this year and now I've got too many other obligations to take care of before I go. Guess I know what part of my reenlistment bonus will go towards. :D

Where is Camp Casey? I spent a lot of time down by Osan Airforce Base.

Back