How to: - Dana 44 TTB outers on a Dana 35 TTB | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Bronco_bill said:
Kris thanks for info I think I am going for it once I get the parts. I have my dana 35 apart right know regearing so it seems like the perfect time. Looks like I need to collect from the bone yard:
Spindles/knuckles
outer axle shafts
rotors/brakes
hubs
new explorer ball joints

gonna need some new wheels too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to do this to my X. Is there any specific year of D44TTB to look for for parts?

Does anyone have pictures of the modified steering setup?

TIA :D

My Axle is going in finally. YAY.. I am going to be posting pics soon.. I took the old axle out, and the dana 44 outters are ready to go in.. along with the Cut and Turned beams, extended arms, and 4.56 gears. cant wait to get it all in.

My parts are coming in the mail + I have my new 4.56 already!!!!!!!

cpuld you give me a quick rundown on what you did to reverse the taper for the tie rods?
thanks

My Machine shop Drills the original hole out in two levels and makes a tapered shim which is pressed in to the hole the new Shim has a Taper to match the tie rod to the Explorer.

Yes Iam finishing my Rear end prob weds. which mean the Front end will get finished soon after. I had problems with the Alignement of my Beams so I had custom drop brackets made. :)

How's it looking? Pics?
What local shop did you use to fabricate drop brackets?

Hey guys,
This is something I'm going to do and have been reading up on it. Along with what you have posted, the magazine "Off Road" by Primedia has had this as a tech project called "Project Trailrunner" on a Ranger D35 TTB in their Feb and March 2006 issues. And they're not done yet.

The TRS site said the spindles are interchangable-not the case. The write up in the magazine is OK with some pics comparing some of the parts-spindles, rotors and some of the trouble areas and how they are tackling them. One area is the alignment cams for the upper ball joint, I'm going to get one for each and design a set with the dimensionsneeded from each to work perfectly. I will have a friend machine them up on his CNC machines (probably 10 sets). These are too important to try to weld, grind and ream out by hand...as they are doing in the magazine. Hopefully the next issue has the job completed and lists all references...

A guy at the local bone yard printed out the knuckles and spindles I will be getting from him. Full size Bronco after 10/1985 and 1986-92, and F150 1986-92, of course the will be 4x4 D44 TTB setups. Quoted me $150 for the 2 knuckles, 2 spindles and they pull them. I saw some where (TRS site I think) that 1987 parts should be avoided-not sure why.

I have to be sure I research this well enough to comple the job in a weekend, because I use my truck for work driving 500-600 miles a week. So if anyone completes it and posts his/her experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

BuffaloX, I already completed the swap of the knuckles. Mine is already in the Truck I just havnt driven it yet. I have done all the machine work to make the swap possible.

I have a my machine shop work using F150 ball joints and regular axle arms, but need to set up my new gears before I put it in. Kris what are you doing to the 8.8 to match front pattern?

I have to be sure I research this well enough to comple the job in a weekend, because I use my truck for work driving 500-600 miles a week. So if anyone completes it and posts his/her experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like you need some spare D35 beams to work with, otherwise you cannot always count on Monday morning, this I have learned

New Axle shaft from Dutchman The Best way to go...

Bronco_bill said:
I have a my machine shop work using F150 ball joints and regular axle arms, but need to set up my new gears before I put it in. Kris what are you doing to the 8.8 to match front pattern?

Hey 410Fortune- I do but the gearing is wrong. I have a 92xlt for parts...will the stub shafts from the D44 I'll get the knuckles and spindles from swap with the D35 stub shafts? They would if they use the same u-joint right. One of a few questions.

yes they use the same U-joint so all you have to do is put the f-150 stub shaft on the Explorer shaft.

Anyone know of a kit to replace the Tie Rod End with a Heim Joint? It would consist of the tapered piece that would bolt into the knuckle with a trheaded end on top to receive the Heim Joint that is threaded into the drag link.

I'd like to keep the machining of the knuckle at a minimum and configure a more "Bolt On" formula to keep it easier and more capable for those with less time and machining resourses...

^^ This would be relatively simple ^^

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a reamer $75 and two bushings from BC Broncs reversed the taper and inserted sleeve. This allowed me to use the stock explorer steering setup. Also used F150 balljoints and camber adjusters. Once I finish setting up new gears will see how alignment works out.

Back