How to: - Dana 44 TTB outers on a Dana 35 TTB | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Brett did make the beams, it was stock track width. This did cause a problem I did have to take the Grinder to the Beam on the Driver side for the Passenger U-joint to clear. I am Running a C-clip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97Picture_126-med.jpg

Very nice Kris. I may be sending some explorer bushings your way along with my dana 44 outers.

Yeah I am Please to annouce that the Swap will work if you are willing to take the time to work on it. But I now have figured out the details for every one.

Hook it up brotha man. Do I send you my parts first or both the money and the parts :smoke: I am very interested now that I am running the 36's. This will hold me off until I slap the solid axle under it.

Send me a set of upper and lower ball joints the Knuckles and at least half the money so I can get started.

OKay. I will PM you soon. Do you have anymore updated pics?

here is another pic

97Picture_127-med.jpg

Kris Guilbeaux said:
Send me a set of upper and lower ball joints the Knuckles and at least half the money so I can get started.
Kris, does this mean you're going to start production? :D :bounce:

yes I will reproduce some 44 steering Knuckle to mount to the 35 Beams.

Kris,

I would like to see the size comparison of the D35 brake caliper compared to the D44 caliper.

I have read that people with D44 front axles report lower braking ability with the stock master cylinder :)

To finish off the new knuckles and larger brakes to get maximum performance maybe a full size master cylinder could be used.

You can out me down for a set of those knuckles as soon as I get the $$$ for new wheels, 35's and rear axleshafts :)

ALSO those are some DAMN sexy beams you got there! Nice to see them assembled! I want I want...

I was thinking that it might just need an ajustment on the mastercylinder. I will be playing with that first. It I still get low performance I will try Installing a Full size mastercylinder. It should not effect the brake that bad as I rarely hear this from Soild Axle Explorers running simular size calipers.

Right I only see this kind of stuff on Pirate where 37-38" + tires are being run on a D44.....lacking braking performance, and also with Jeep brake systems........maybe the ford master has a better bore???

Dumb question: You can still run a 15" wheel with this cant you? I think the truck I pulled my axle from originally had 15's.

Cant wait to see them on the truck. Looks great.

Yes you can run a 15" wheel I tested the New Wheel I have in my garage for my Green X and they are 15" wheels. It might be a while before it is all on the truck since My navajo is going to get painted the middle of the month and I am Working on the radius arm set up. And since I the Wheels a tire I chose cost a small fortune I am looking at the Begin of summer

That looks great. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be surprised if that does increase your track by 1" or so. I know that going from a D30 to a D44 knuckle, the ball joints are 5/8" further in on each side of the axle to match track widths.

As for brakes. I haven't heard of an explorer having a problem with going to D44 brakes (whether cheby or ford). I have no problems, except for the crappy pads that came with my axle (granted I'm a 2nd gen). Not so sure about a BII Jamie. Or have you already upgraded the master cylinder to an Explorer part?

Jefe, I mave a 93 Explorer brake booster and a 95 Explorer disc brake master with new hard lines. :p
With the D35 up front and the disc 8.8 in back the BII stops on a dime!

Of course she needs a transmission before I can use those brakes! hahaha should be running this weekend........

Kris, are you doing the machining for the steering as well?

yes It will mount inplace of the Explorer knuckles and The steering will be reversed to mount on Top like the Explorer. so your Explorer tie rod will fit perfectly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kris, did you get my PM regarding motor?

Back