Dana 'Super' 30 gears

Sonny1597

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2dr
Been playing hell with my front IFS .. the 2001 Ford door tag says I have a Dana 35 front .. not so .. I have the Dana 'super' 30 IFS ... Peterson's 4Wheel and Off Road did a good article on this axle .. it's rare, not that it means anything ... just a bit smaller then a Dana 35.
My problem is that not much is made for this axle .. but one company does make gears for it .. trouble is they are out of stock.
What I need is help trying to locate a set of 4.10 gears for it. Anybody have a clue? My alternative down the pike is to go with a Dana 35 replacement or do a SAS, which I'm not thrilled about .. I use my rig more for over land exploring .. not a rock crawler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree 100% with the last statement of that article.

Front lockers are great for snow wheeling and mudding. Very rarely will you use it in dry, rocky conditions. Your lication is listed as Tuscon so I'm guessing you won't see too much of either. IMO, you should ditch the rear Powerslip for a real locker and don't waste any time on a locker for the front.

I agree 100% with the last statement of that article.

Front lockers are great for snow wheeling and mudding. Very rarely will you use it in dry, rocky conditions. Your lication is listed as Tuscon so I'm guessing you won't see too much of either. IMO, you should ditch the rear Powerslip for a real locker and don't waste any time on a locker for the front.

Yup! Since I started all this I too agree on the front locker. In a previous life I had two Unimog's .. we used them for work and I learned when they were fully locked up you never knew where they were going to go .. pretty much anyplace they got traction. I've since gone to Rcweldfab out of Louisville and now I have a front winch bumper and the spare is now mounted on the back. But back to the Dana 30 IFS .. there is a 4.10 out there made for it .. if I can only track one down. I'm running 265/75 16" on 3.73 gears .. ok for now but a set of 4.10's would work better and I could go to 285/75 16" when this current set wears out. Funny thing is I stopped at Ford today and had the guy look up my axle by Vin number .. took him almost an hour and finally two guys were looking up stuff to finally come up with a part number for the Dana 'super' 30 IFS.

Back