Dano's Quest For An American Made Garage. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Dano's Quest For An American Made Garage.

Today i was organizing my garage and getting it cleaned up so one day i can once again use it to house my trucks. In doing so i found many of the tools that have gone missing and slowly put things i found back into my tool box. I acquired most of all my tools and tool boxes as hand me Downs and after getting everything organized i realized i didn't have very many American made tools.

Now i understand that good tools are not restricted to the "Made in USA" stamp, but being me i don't feel like i can complain about the economy when most of everything i own is made in foreign countries and by foreign workers. I was for example pissed that there are no Christmas lights made in the USA. So i will do my part and try and spread the word to stand by my countries more expensive and generally better quality product.

Yes i drive some Navajo's branded with Mazda, but the way i think of it, most people ride in foreign cars and trucks built somewhere else, i drive foreign trucks made in America.

So my quest begins and it will be a long one and i will buy American tools and equipment unless it is plain old unavoidable because it just not available.

I struck it good with Proto and got a catalog that points out which products are made in the homeland and i will post what i buy and where its from with pics and reviews. Also got a grainger book.

Now i understand that for a company to brand their tools with our good old USA stamp that at least 50% of the materials used in the tool must be American, it sucks but its better than 0%.

Geneva Garage Gear - American made garage storage management

- American Workbench American made custom wooden workbenches

Proto tools (made in U.S.A. and Stanley tools (some made in U.S.A) everything from tools to tool storage.

Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools "At Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools we believe that stamping our products “Made in U.S.A.” is a privilege that must be earned."

Race Deck Custom Garage Flooring Removable snap lock tiles fit to your garage, "Proudly Made in America."

Further updates to come.

Dano:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Don't just buy something because it say's "made in America" some things are coming back to America simply to put that on the box. I saw something on CNN? yesterday, T.V. company is bringing final assembly back to the states. However, they are still producing the circuit boards, screens, ect in China and then shipping those (which is cheaper to ship smaller parts then fully assembled tvs) here to be assembled by people who I'm assuming don't get paid very much.
The boxes these tv's are going in..... have a huge American flag on them. Bull shi*.

So the point is, don't fall for a "made in america" stamp. Of course, with whats going on in China we shouldn't buy anything that's made there. Even if we're just assemblying here, that's better than paying China to assemble it and help fund their attacks on the Phillipeans and soon to be Japan.

rickybobby

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
here is a good resource for ya http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html#handtools It lists stanley-proto as only making the proto tools in america, but a good chunk of the stanley branded tools are also made here. All of the stanley tools i have ever purchased were branded as made in america

Vic_Ferrari2002

Reaction score
City, State
Chambersburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Maybe consider buying used hand tools, like wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc.

The flea markets I used to go to always had used socket sets, ratchets, sockets, wrenches, pliers, and other hand tools. Most of the time, the were alot cheaper than buying new, and the quality was ALOT better then what you can buy today.

I also got some hand-me-down tools from my Dad, who was in the National Guard. Lots of old school brands, some Japanese ones, SK, Armstrong, PROTO, Bonney, and others.

Dano!

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo X 2
Thank you for the advise,
When i was reading about what a company has to do to put "Made in U.S.A" which i believe is linked through the link provided above, is that pretty much 50% of the manufacturing process ( materials / forging / work) has to be either made in America or put together in America. Its a shitty deal but we pay our workers more to do a better job with well established quality assurance programs. I will settle for half the purchase price staying in America.
I was fortunate to run into the grainger regional manager along with the proto associate at work. They gave me catalogs listing most of their tool / tool storage / garage organizing products. The thing i liked about it was the catalogs tell you which products are made in America.
I was a little surprised because half the book encompasses Stanley tools, and almost none of them are branded made in America.
Another thing i thought was cool is proto tools also make custom tool inserts for your tool boxes to organize your boxes and make them look clean. I will be looking into that as well. When i get home i will post some of the web sites i am looking at getting my things from. I will add the links and what they sell in the first post.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
I've got a LOT of old Craftsman, Proto, SK, DeWitt, Blackhawk and Snap-on tools. Lifetime warranty pretty much means forever when it comes to them, and they built their tools to last forever back when it was not just so much cheaper to make a replacement tool in a Chinese factory. Heck, one of my 1/2" drive ratchets was made back in 1944 (it has the -4 date code, and for whatever reason, Blackhawk thought a single digit year code was a good idea, but I don't think they were making the 49977 wrenches in 1934), and it works just as well or better than anything you can buy at Wal-Mart

Ratchet.jpg

There you go, proof it still gets used and abused. Most of the time, when I tell people I collect antique or old tools, they get surprised when I reach into my toolbox when they ask to see them. "You still use that? What if you break it?" What's the point in having a tool you can't use? If I wanted tools I can't use, I'd buy new ones that will break once I use them.

EDIT: I do also buy a lot of Irwin/Vice Grips branded locking pliers... But regardless of where they are made, they are pretty much the highest quality locking pliers.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I like to buy American made stuff as much as the next guy but I ran into a situation the other day where I went to buy a locking clamp made by Irwin/Vice-Grips at Lowes.
I promptly looked at the label and was disappointed to see that they were made in china. At that point I thought well, they are an American company and so is Harbor Freight.
Why wouldn't I just go get it cheaper at HF and I'll feel the same either way about the situation. Don't get me wrong, the Irwin brand was still made better but this is the type of item I don't see myself breaking.

I'd say 95% of my tools are Craftsman and my roll away is from Lowe's (Kobalt). I was lucky to buy everything when it was made in the USA but now with Craftsman outsourcing to China that doesn't make me feel better about breaking a tool and having to exchange it for one made elsewhere.