Dare I Ask? Correct Tire Pressure for a 1997 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dare I Ask? Correct Tire Pressure for a 1997 Explorer

tressler

Reaction score
City, State
West PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I've searched and cannot find a definitive answer. What is the correct tire pressure for a 1997 Limited, AWD-V8? 235/75/15, stock size tires. The Ford recommended 26 PSI cannot be correct... IMO.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

32-34 PSI.. the 26 was a mistake

I've searched and cannot find a definitive answer. What is the correct tire pressure for a 1997 Limited, AWD-V8? 235/75/15, stock size tires. The Ford recommended 26 PSI cannot be correct... IMO.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Well, I never bought the whole Firestone/Explorer blow-out media propaganda. If you read the independent statistics, you will learn that the majority of Explorer tire blow-outs happened because of loaded-down trucks and bald tires on extremely hot days at excessively high speeds. So to hedge my bets, I inflated my replacement Firestone Destination LE's (ask me why I bought replacement Firestones) at 30 PSI and ran the next 30K miles in hot, hot Texas with no problems.

Chris

it says on the side of the tire what it should be at , i run at 36 psi,, it seems to be the best there,,

it says on the side of the tire what it should be at , i run at 36 psi,, it seems to be the best there,,

Are you looking at the max psi? That psi should only be used if you are towing or driving with a heavy load, it definitely isn't ideal for daily driving.

i keep my psi at 32.

Tire Pressure

My 97 Sport has a sticker inside the drivers door, I can go look if this helps?

if your tires says max 35 run 32 if 44max run 40 if 50 max run 42 to 46 for proper tire wear and mileage

My 97 Sport says 30 PSI cold inside the drivers door

I believe they put new stickers on the door as part of the recalls. It should be 30 PSI cold. My 16" tires say 30PSI from the factory.

I keep them at 33 psi cold, so in case it loses a bit of air I'm always in the safe zone.

I recently got my explorer running. I bought it with a bad engine. It has new goodyear wranglers on it, and I had them at 35 pounds all around. This thing rides like a dump truck. In a small quest for a better ride, I reduced the pressure down to 30. Made no differance on the ride so back to 35 they go.

I run mine at 40 psig for maximum gas mileage.

wow al 40? i understand for max mpg,but isn't the ride rough? i keep mine around 31-33 give or take and my truck rides like i don't have shocks at times.but then again my ball joints are bad on the driver side,plus i got the rear lowered 3" with the torsion bolts up front completly removed.but i remember before my truck was lowered and when my ball joints weren't bad,i put too much air in my tires and it was a very hard ride!

wow al 40? i understand for max mpg,but isn't the ride rough? i keep mine around 31-33 give or take and my truck rides like i don't have shocks at times.but then again my ball joints are bad on the driver side,plus i got the rear lowered 3" with the torsion bolts up front completly removed.but i remember before my truck was lowered and when my ball joints weren't bad,i put too much air in my tires and it was a very hard ride!

My truck rides fine.

I use Rancho 9000x adjustable shocks and can adjust for any condition.

Its a hard one to get right, I know mine is stock- 2000 northface cept for poly bushes on sway bars and upgrade drop links and on 40 psi it is a real rough ride on tarmac, down to 34 is better....but it will always be a compromise after all its a 4 be 4 eh guys!
Just accept the jolts and jars as part of the experiance as I do! It made up for me my the horses, and the load capacity
I guess the ride issues is after the pressure is down to the shocks and then body mounts. I know my next project is a TT and shackles lift, maybe a body lift also......I cant imagine that would help the ride any!

I run mine at 40psi and like the ride much better but they are a light truck tire, the general rule for the pressure in a tire is 10% less than what is listed on the tire.

My truck rides fine.

I use Rancho 9000x adjustable shocks and can adjust for any condition.

my shocks are just some cheap ones i got at nappa like almost 4 years ago.how much are them rancho 9000x shocks? and how do you go about adjusting them?

Thats your problem.

Check with jegs.com or others for current price.

By simply turning the adjustment knob. Just takes seconds.

i know my cheap old shocks got a lot to do with the rough ride.i want to get bilstein shocks.but i believe im going to need a lowered shock sinse my truck is 3" lower than stock.i looked up them rancho shocks.they sound great,expensive,but good.so you have to get under the truck to turn the knob on all 4 shocks everytime you want to adjust them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe im going to need a lowered shock sinse my truck is 3" lower than stock.

Lowered Explorers generally ride like crap. Yes, i speakfrom experience; I was once lowered myself.

.so you have to get under the truck to turn the knob on all 4 shocks everytime you want to adjust them?

Yes or Ranch makesan in cab adjuster. I just never saw the needfor it since I rarely adjust the shocks.

Back