Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9" | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9"

Well I have been planning for the longest time to cut and turn a d44 ttb and somehow make it fit where the d35 is but... not anymore much as I love the ttb frontend I had a deal I couldnt pass up fall in my lap so now its SAS w/ a d44 and 9" rear from a '79 f150 going under my truck
Current pics found here!

Current plan is...
D44
1:clean up/teardown DONE!
2:cut/narrrow (I'm not going to run a full width front) DONE!
3:reload it, new brakes/hubs/joints/inner shafts (one EB longside and f150 short side) possible locker/regear funds depending :part Done, hubs, shafts, ujoints left to go
4:make it aimable, probably a early bronco steering setup or something semi custom
Steering on order

9" ON HOLD, going with the 8.8 and adapters for the current moment

1:clean all the rust off it (like the f150 frame thats sitting on it)
2:clean up/teardown
Added- Narrow it
3:figure out how to stop it, pick/figure out/fab brakes for it
4: maybe get new shafts/3rd member

Sounds simple right? Right... pics will be up by the end of this week for the project start

Note! I do know that the '79 d44 have cast ends and I am going to cut it down and it will work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I"m sure you can pic up some 3.73 gears for next to nothing. Gears for the front would be much less than breaking the rest of your drivetrain.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I"m sure you can pic up some 3.73 gears for next to nothing. Gears for the front would be much less than breaking the rest of your drivetrain.

pretty sure if I were to stick it in 4x w/ the 3.73 3.50 gear combo the Atlas would take care of one of the U joints or front shafts before I would have to worry about anything else breaking :D And yes the gears are sorta cheap, its the setup that $$ plus if I am going to pay for regearing, might as well add a new carrier to that, and new carrier = higher spline count which means new shafts and better u-joints. I really dislike doing things twice, which means I'll deal with the remote possibility that I might blow up a front shaft if I did manage to get the truck stuck (while driving on the road) and would need the 4x to get it out :rolleyes: which I highly doubt... but for the mean time the main reason to put the stock gears and shafts in the front axle is really just to keep any crud out of the diff and hubs. I could just leave the front shaft off of it as well, but even if its on the truck its not like you can accidentally stick my rig in 4x

It's up to you, but after doing all this work having the proper gears just seems like a no-brainer. Seems pretty silly to not have 4wd after doing a SAS!

You can use the same carrier for 3.73's as you have with 3.50's. The carrier break doesn't come until you go 3.92+. Get a set of used 3.73 gears, and an install kit.

It's up to you, but after doing all this work having the proper gears just seems like a no-brainer. Seems pretty silly to not have 4wd after doing a SAS!

You can use the same carrier for 3.73's as you have with 3.50's. The carrier break doesn't come until you go 3.92+. Get a set of used 3.73 gears, and an install kit.

if I was sasing to make a wheeling rig, yeah I would agree, but this thing is my DD and main reason for the swap was to get the front wheels from looking like \--/ to |--|
When I do regear the front, by replacing the carrier I meant selectable locker and the gears still would need to be set up even with used ones, unless I'm missing something that cost $$

Pic update of TRE's and reaming, More to come when the wheel adapters and tube inserts show up

Reaming the knuckles
IMG_0136.JPG

ES2233L reamed for tie rod over and to accept the draglink TRE
IMG_0137.JPG

ES2234R stuck in the DS knuckle after reaming
IMG_0138.JPG

PS TRE and both drag link ends
IMG_0139.JPG

And a pic of the reamer and package w/ part number on it
IMG_0140.JPG

where did you get the reamer and how much?

where did you get the reamer and how much?

The big Snap-On printed on the package didnt give it away? :p: its a R121 and I think Spas paided about $50-60 for it, and if ya get one be sure to use quality cutting lube with it

thats kinda alot to spend to use once... ill ask around to borrow one;)

what degree is it?

thats kinda alot to spend to use once... ill ask around to borrow one;)

its a 1"-1/2" says snap-on, I think its a 7 deg, another site I looked at says 8 deg is the correct one, but I have seen the snap-on one being suggested all over the web, which part of your steering do you need reamed? (oh and the snap-on site says $45.35 for the reamer) really if you use the same oddball TRE with the drag link in it, It would be a really good idea to either keep the reamer with your trail tools or get a spare TRE and have it pre-reamed for the draglink (if you are using the same parts as I am)

i am reaming the pitman arm b/c im using a dana 60 and its steering linkage.

i am reaming the pitman arm b/c im using a dana 60 and its steering linkage.

Ahh, well depending on how far out you are you could just bring it down, but gas cost might be more then buying a reamer :rolleyes:

not worth the trouble for a 10 min job... ya know?

Oh Hell yes!

Now its on! woke up this morning to find it was really x-mass morning :D
Big brown truck dropped off 2 boxes,
Box 1: Quadratec Jeep: Spidertrax 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapters (and a free jeep essentials catalog :rolleyes: )
Box 2: CompleteOffRoad.com: 7/8" tube inserts, 2 jam nuts, 2 TRO bushing for 3/4 ton chevy TRE's (happy its here, but still feel that I should have got the spidertrax stuff and their on-line ordering has no shipping tracking)

And before anyone complains, Here are the pics of the goods, Install pics to come sooon!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: and time to get :hammer:

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

Oh on a side note anyone getting spacer/adapters these spidertrax ones are NICE! and have really good packaging, I'll try to remember to get a pic of how they are shipped before I throw them on the rig :D

You need any help today? I don't work again, and I'm getting kinda bored.

Sure, I'll be here thats for sure, just need to make a run and get the 40lb (small) propane tank filled so I dont freeze to death in the shop

whats with the wheel adaptors? if your doing a d44/9" swap you wont need them.

i think he likes his old wheels

Back