• Register Today It's free!

Darn Kids!! :)

Survivor61

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
So, my son thought it be cool to put black electrical tape all around the steering wheel. Now that he is gone in the Air Force I am taking over the Explorer again. I pulled all the tape off but the wheel is now very very sticky!

Anyone have any suggestions on what to clean the steering wheel with to get all this sticky stuff off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could try a product called goo-be-gone
its ment for removing glue from tape an decales wont harm the paint

Goo gone is my vote (might be called goo be gone, but I think its just goo gone)

~Makr

Goo gone or Opps are good products. Goo Gone may be the better choice because it is citrus based, less harsh. I use this stuff all the time when removing decals.

Hehe thanks guys I will try that. My standard auto parts store carry that or someplace like Home Depot?

I like this, I am one-
Home depot should have it-

Attachments

• goof off.jpg
    goof off.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 799

I agree, try the goo gone first, the goof off is a bit more harsh. I use them both for work and in certain situations the goof off has discolored some plastics and finishes. For sure go with goo gone if it's a leather wheel.

Of course the other options is to just get one of those $5 wheel covers.

contractor solvent by de-solve-it

Hell yes, just get a decorative steering wheel cover.......no ' elbow grease' required to put one on :)

That was my other idea (steering wheel cover). I once saw a guy in an alarm shop use WD-40 to get some sort of tar or liquid electrical tape off the paint on a car. I asked the guy if it affects the finish, and he said that it didn't. I'm not sure about leather, but it doesn't appear to be harsh. Paint thinner would be the strongest, but I've never tried it on leather. Lava soap works well on many things when they get something caught on them which doesn't lift off with anything else.

WD-40 would prolly work too, forgot about that. Something else that just came to mind is "Skin So Soft" from Avon, my dad uses that to get bugs and tar off the paint of his cars, has for years.

I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, but rub it with fresh orange peels.

^^Would work well methinks

I have to ask, why electrical tape?

I did it before too. I don't remember why. I just remember using orange peels to get it off....

Yeah, I guess I can see doing it in CA. Here in WI I would never think about it, because electrical tape doesn't like cold temperatures. It gets brittle and looses its adhesive-ness

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, when it gets hot, the glue melts and slides all over, so i ended up wrapping my steering wheel with athletic tape.

Back