Darn "Love Bugs" ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Darn "Love Bugs" ...

grrtrainman

Reaction score
City, State
Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
:mad:

Anyone notice how difficult it is to get a front end bra for our new Explorers? The majority of the sites say “not available” for the new model. The only time I would use the bra would be on long trips like to and from Florida during @#%&#@ “love bug” season, (‘nuf said). Bra wouldn’t be used if it’s raining. I don’t want to use the “Saran Wrap” types and am a little weary about that new 3M spray on stuf, (untested )? I did find one for the 2013 Ex but it said NA if you have front end sensors (like the Limited 302A has). I’m thinking all you would have to do is get the darn bra and cut out two circles for the L and R sensors. The radar unit for the adaptive cruise control is behind the black plastic front lower grill area and I think the bra would be “invisible” to that transceiver. The aesthetics of the bra stinks but the protection is worth it, IMHO). Anyone out here have a photo of their new Ex with a bra??? BTW, the one unit I found was the “LeBra” brand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use RejeX Wax. When washing, spay the buggy areas with a mixture of water and soap from a spray bottle. Dwell time is key. And bugs are mostly water soluble.

The aesthetics of the bra stinks but the protection is worth it, IMHO). Anyone out here have a photo of their new Ex with a bra???

I had a colgan custom bra for my 2000 HD F-150 truck. Fit perfect and provided plenty of protection. But they look ugly, and are a PITA to always put on and off even if it's just for long trips.

We had a 3M Ventureshield clear bra installed on our 2011 Mustang GT, and 30k miles and 3 years later it still looked brand spanking new, is practically completely invisible, the only thing you can see is the very edge of the film if you look up close. And if you're smart about which pieces you get, you wont' even see that. Don't get hood or fender pieces that only go half way up a panel then stop and you see the edge. Just get the full panel pieces for the front bumper and headlights, where 99% of your rock chips and bug guts are, and the film goes all the way to the edges so you can't see anything, the bra is totally invisible. They're insanely durable too, the paint stays looking brand new, and bugs just wash off, even if they've been on there for weeks.

I had one installed on my Raptor, and just had one installed on our Sport. It's the first mod all our vehicles get.

Bra-01.jpg

Bra-09.jpg

Bra-12.jpg

The pics are almost pointless because the bra is totally invisible lol. 100% rock chip protection 100% of the time, and no ugly looking bra on the front, and no constant on/off.

I had a colgan custom bra for my 2000 HD F-150 truck. Fit perfect and provided plenty of protection. But they look ugly, and are a PITA to always put on and off even if it's just for long trips.

We had a 3M Ventureshield clear bra installed on our 2011 Mustang GT, and 30k miles and 3 years later it still looked brand spanking new, is practically completely invisible, the only thing you can see is the very edge of the film if you look up close. And if you're smart about which pieces you get, you wont' even see that. Don't get hood or fender pieces that only go half way up a panel then stop and you see the edge. Just get the full panel pieces for the front bumper and headlights, where 99% of your rock chips and bug guts are, and the film goes all the way to the edges so you can't see anything, the bra is totally invisible. They're insanely durable too, the paint stays looking brand new, and bugs just wash off, even if they've been on there for weeks.

I had one installed on my Raptor, and just had one installed on our Sport. It's the first mod all our vehicles get.

Bra-01.jpg

Bra-09.jpg

Bra-12.jpg

The pics are almost pointless because the bra is totally invisible lol. 100% rock chip protection 100% of the time, and no ugly looking bra on the front, and no constant on/off.

Sorry to butt in with this "slight hijack"

I am trying to help out my father in his quest for paint protection fr my mother's new RDX
Searching the google told me this film will " bubble up" on the edges after a few car washes.
Now, knowing my father washes his cars daily, I need to ask if it is really worth the 1100-1200 to get all the pieces professionally installed. How ill it look on a dark vehicle?

Ok, the paint finish can be a problem, but how do you stop the bugs from becoming a real big problem plugging up the radiator cooling fins. I'd be especially concerned if I had a ecoboost and the intercooler was getting plugged.....and I do have one...best regards Plum

Lots of good info here guys. I wonder if that spray on bug remover can be found in stores? It’s now on my shopping list.
Re: that nice photo of the Ex Sport: (1.) good thing those mirrors fold back. (2.) How the heck do you get out of that car when it‘s in the garage, through the moon roof ??? !!!
Thanks for the tips!

Searching the google told me this film will " bubble up" on the edges after a few car washes.
Now, knowing my father washes his cars daily, I need to ask if it is really worth the 1100-1200 to get all the pieces professionally installed. How ill it look on a dark vehicle?

It will absolutely NOT bubble up on the edges even after 1,000 car washes! Not sure which brand or type of stuff that google search found, but a quality clear bra should never bubble up or peel up. Some of the earlier ones years ago had a tendency to yellow over time,but the newer films are vastly improved even in just the past couple years, so be cautious of reviews if they're about the earlier stuff. I can't speak for other brands, but the 3M Ventureshield is what we had installed on our 5.0 mustang 3 years ago and it looked just as good as the day it was installed. Our cars sit outside in the sun 24/7/365, and all weather conditions here in NJ, snow, salt, freezing, scorching hot, you name it. 3 years of outdoors and it still looked like it was just installed (albeit you have to look very very very close because it's nearly invisible!).

It'll look invisible on a dark vehicle too. I strongly recommend against doing the hood or a fender where it's a 1/2 panel, you will see the edge of the flim where it stops. I only do the full panel pieces like the bumper and headlights and mirrors, which see 99% of the brunt of bugs and chips, and with the film going all the way to the edges, you can't see it at all.

And if a shop is charging anywhere near $1k, run away! It's typically between $300-$400 for the front bumper and headlight pieces installed. My Raptor I did do the hood and fenders only because the hood has a decal and vents, so the film goes right up aginst the decal and vents so you don't see an edge, and even with the full nose done, it was still only $500.

Ok, the paint finish can be a problem, but how do you stop the bugs from becoming a real big problem plugging up the radiator cooling fins. I'd be especially concerned if I had a ecoboost and the intercooler was getting plugged.....and I do have one...best regards Plum

They sell netting that you can install behind the grille, and in front of the radiator, to prevent anything plugging up the cooling fins. But you have to be in some seriously thick bug swarms for a lot of driving for that to become a problem. Any bugs that get into the radiator typically bake to a nice brittle crunch, then wash off.

This is what I use when I comeback from long trips and it works great.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_CWS_104_16_Bug_Tar_Heavy_Duty_Car_p/cws_104_16.htm

Also keep in mind, bug and tar remover, especially heavy duty bug & tar remover, also strips wax. If you keep your vehicle waxed, any bug guts should wash right off with soapy water and a wash mit when you wash your car.

Re: that nice photo of the Ex Sport: (1.) good thing those mirrors fold back. (2.) How the heck do you get out of that car when it‘s in the garage, through the moon roof ??? !!!
Thanks for the tips!

That pic is decieving, there's over 2' on either side of the sport with it parked in the garage there. Only folded the mirrors so it was easier to walk in and out. And it's a 9' door, I don't even need to fold the mirrors on my RAPTOR to fit the front end in the garage lol. The sport stays outside though, it was only in the garage to get the clear bra installed. My 2000 HD F-150 stays in the garage.

Back