Dasfinc's 5 speed Supercharged V-8 Explorer Sport Build Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dasfinc's 5 speed Supercharged V-8 Explorer Sport Build Thread

dasfinc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 SOHC Exploder
Yay new build thread!

With my 1998 ford ranger having finally been scrapped, I now need a new home for my Supercharged 5.0, so here is the start of my build thread for my new platform!

Ordering my first pile of new parts:

RockAutoCart.jpg

SummitCart.jpg

For this:

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

To go into this:

09ee7086.jpg

312858_10150774228255332_685625331_20428773_7893654_n.jpg

b93433f8.jpg

Engine:
GT-40P Headed 5.0 V-8 from a 1998 ford explorer
M90P Headunit X-Charger at 8PSI
46lb injectors
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
K+N Panel filter in stock intake
A/C Deleted
ProForm 1.6 Roller Rockers
CompCams Double roller timing chain
CompCams Hydro roller lifters
CompCams K35-349-8 Camshaft *Specs below*
cam.jpg

Truck:
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
5 speed/2wd
White on grey
Black Cragar "Soft 8's"

I purchased this truck from its first owners at 106K miles late in 2009. I ended up trading it to a friend in May of 2010. My friend put $1000 into suspension and tires, and then unfortunately bent the shift fork inside the transmission over winter of 2010. I bought it back and had the transmission repaired with a fresh clutch and have been using it as my daily driver since late spring.

Plans:
Buy an M5OD-R2 Transmission to put behind the motor
Torque Monster Headers
SCT and a real tune
Basic fresh coat of paint.

Goals:
13.XX my first time out with it, I'd like to snag a 13.5 or better on my regular wheels, and 350whp/400wtq without nitrous or alky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will the XE 264 work with factory pushrods?

I was thinking about this cam as well if I ever need to pull the intake ...

Will the XE 264 work with factory pushrods?

I was thinking about this cam as well if I ever need to pull the intake ...

I've used it for the past like thousand miles just fine :thumbsup:

350whp/400ft. lbs. will be a little difficult at only 8lbs of boost.

A the flywheel, sure....

Ryan

350whp/400ft. lbs. will be a little difficult at only 8lbs of boost.

A the flywheel, sure....

Ryan

Truck put down 250/300 with 5psi and bone stock everything else. I think 100hp out of:
cam
Springs
Roller Rockers
Roller Lifters
TorqueMonsters
46lb injectors
8PSI
Real tune

Is not outlandish.

Subscribin

Your estimate of 350 will be close.....I would opt for a custom cam in your boosted application. You could be leaving 20+ hp on the table otherwise....

Ryan

Your estimate of 350 will be close.....I would opt for a custom cam in your boosted application. You could be leaving 20+ hp on the table otherwise....

Ryan

Limitations of the Explorer ECU don't allow for a good idle on a cam with an LSA more aggresive than 114*. It's hard enough to find someone to tune this thing, let alone with a custom grind :thumbdwn:.

Because the blower is an MP90 Magnuson charger in a kit designed for a stock explorer motor, I don't think there is much to be had out of a cam any more aggressive than what I already have honestly.

The first little piece of the V-8 rangers soul is now on my Explorer (Cragars):

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

There are few limitations on the Explorer ECM.....I don't know who told you that. As for Idle characteristics...you don't need a radical cam for your application. Just one tailored to a 2 ton Boosted SUV. I PROMISE...you are leaving about 15-25hp on the table if you don't go that route.

After I get mine all dialed in, we should do a little 'internet grudge match racing'...

My 4 door Explorer, vs. your 2Dr. Explorer.....post time slips, and video....it could get interesting..

Ryan

There are few limitations on the Explorer ECM.....I don't know who told you that. As for Idle characteristics...you don't need a radical cam for your application. Just one tailored to a 2 ton Boosted SUV. I PROMISE...you are leaving about 15-25hp on the table if you don't go that route.

After I get mine all dialed in, we should do a little 'internet grudge match racing'...

My 4 door Explorer, vs. your 2Dr. Explorer.....post time slips, and video....it could get interesting..

Ryan

the OBD2 5.0 explorer ECU is VERY temperamental, and has some very odd traits specific to it *Especially regarding the LSA on cams, and the 3-4 shift point*. (Was tuning with Delta Force last year, was less than fun)

I'm buying the SCT Pro-Racer package and Xcal3 for spring so I can get it dialed in perfect (and will finally remove any limitations of my ECU). Once everything is dialed in and purchased mod wise, I will look into new cam options to squeak out a bit more power. Right now I won't loose any sleep over 15hp :p.

I'm always game for internet grudge matches ;).

BTW where's your build thread?

Subscribing. That thing will be scary with that kind of horse power.

Subscribing. That thing will be scary with that kind of horse power.

My ranger was an absolute blast with this drivetrain minus how useless it was for doing anything but hauling ass, and how obnoxious the ECU tuning was with the auto trans...

I'm 'ahead of schedule' for budget, managed to have already sold nearly half of my rangers old goodies that are not going onto this project.

You will have to watch yourself in the rain. I had an old '87 5.0L that I had squeezed an honest HP/cube and that thing was dangerous in the rain. The sport will be similar. How is the 06? The newest stang I have driven was a 2002 and it was not impressive. In it's defense it was an automatic.

You will have to watch yourself in the rain. I had an old '87 5.0L that I had squeezed an honest HP/cube and that thing was dangerous in the rain. The sport will be similar. How is the 06? The newest stang I have driven was a 2002 and it was not impressive. In it's defense it was an automatic.

I drove my ranger in the rain with this setup minus the headers. A limited slip rear end and good tires makes all the difference. The extra weight over the rear tires will probably help as well.

The 05-09 mustangs are fantastic, back in 02 they only had 240hp or so. The 05's have 300hp/320tq, and can run high 13's stock Vs. mid to high 14's of the previous generation.

I'm also a HUGE sucker for the retro styling inside and out.

Yup, I agree the styling is very good.

Looking forward to your build. Good luck!

Bought her just last Sat:

IMG_0932.jpg

Sexy b***h. Is there forced induction in her future too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sexy b***h. Is there forced induction in her future too?

I'll pickup a Roots-type Saleen blower once the warranty is up. Just that kit basically puts the car just below 400whp or so, which is about 50 shy of what most people feel is the maximum safe output for stock internals on the S197's.

I got a 4 year/36,000 mile warranty from Date of Purchase. She is just a baby (25,000 miles on her), and I wanted the piece of mind that while I had payments I wouldn't have to worry about her.

The explorer is still on DD Duty, and will be on DD Duty again as soon as it's finished. I plan on driving it until something gives up the ghost this winter, or until my GF moves in with me (So she can drive my ass to the train station, and we can use her 4X4 Tacoma)

Back