• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dash cam install - anyone do it yet?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Sharin, there is nothing to the headliner. You just run the cable up the A-pillar, tuck it in the headliner. I pulled the console down by pulling down on the back end. That way you can snake the cable around to the passenger side and mount the dashcam there. You do not need to do anyting with the mirror or that hard plastic shell right next to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SteveAZ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum
Sharin, there is nothing to the headliner. You just run the cable up the A-pillar, tuck it in the headliner. I pulled the console down by pulling down on the back end. That way you can snake the cable around to the passenger side and mount the dashcam there. You do not need to do anyting with the mirror or that hard plastic shell right next to it.
Guess I'm overthinking the task. I'll take another look in the morning, thanks miss

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
just a picture of the console pulled down. the two wires hanging down are for my dashcam before i passed them through to the passenger side headliner.

252E2E25-7958-433C-874C-54486F325B8B.jpeg

SteveAZ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum
wow, I'm glad I didn't tamper with the shell in front of the mirror. I'd probably have broken something. I am looking at a 2020?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
yes 2020 Explorer ST. just pull down the back edge... the end with the pocket storage.

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Lots of good suggestions. I think I can handle the wiring but I don't have confidence in pulling down the headliner or the assembly behind the mirror. Lots of stuff up there and I don't want to break something. I wired the 2016 directly to the overhead curtesy lights and that was easy but the new machine tolerances are much tighter and I didn't have a vent in the A pillar. Anybody done a video?
I just upgraded my dash cam to the u1000 and picked up the ODB harness at the same time. If you get the harness it is a very simple installation and no need to remove headliner. Then again, if you go the route of fuse taps you still won't need to remove the headliner. I realize tapping into the connections where the courtesy lights are will result in a very clean installation but I'd had to damage the headliner.

SteveAZ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum
I think I've had a half-dozen cams but none with ODB access. I've already purchased a new device so I think I'll be staying with the fuse taps. At least, that's my thinking now, unless the harness is available separately. Still, that would remove the ODB Automatic Pro I've been using for several years. Maybe no great loss at this point.