• Register Today It's free!

Dash cluster alignment

SMD2020ST

Reaction score
City, State
Waldorf, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Is it normal for new cars to not have the dash display directly in front of the driver? I feel like the 12 "gauge cluster" is a bit left of being directly in front of me when I'm seated square in the middle of the driver's seat looking directly forward. Forgive me if this is normal for newer vehicles, my last vehicle was a 2004 Jeep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, it kind of feels like the steering wheel may not be centered in front of me either.

You've hit on one of my biggest automotive pet peeves. Yes, it is very common for the driver's seat, steering wheel, and center dash to NOT line up. It is infuriating and I swear I sit at a weird angle because of it.

Yep. It's kind of weird to me too and I try not to think about it.

Was thinking the same thing the other day in my '20 XLT, glad someone else noticed the IP is off center to the left. At least it's not 3-6" off center like my neighbor's 2019 Silverado...

I wish I hadn’t read this thread . . .

As long as the steering well is centered, I'm good!

Never had a problem on any of my previous vehicles. 2018 Explorer lines up fine, as does 2017 Fusion. I have heard of issues with the 2020 Explorer's instrument panels not working properly off the factory line at the beginning. I wouldn't put it past Chicago to have alignment issues. They can't align Taurus/Explorer door panels or lights, why would they be trusted to line up instrument panels.

Back