dash/instrument lights HELP needed!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dash/instrument lights HELP needed!!

frogman

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit Lakes, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
I finally today (been putting this off for too long) decided to tear apart my dash and replace the burnt out bulb that has been bothering me. Using the "indiglo gauges replacement" procedure posted here, I was able to do this without a problem. Whoever posted that and took the photos - a big THANK YOU.

Anyway, here is where I need help. I was missing light beginning at about 60mph and beyond. The oil pressure and amp gauges to the right were lit fine. When I got behind the gauge circuit board, I found a large black bulb socket about where I was missing light on the speedo. I pulled it and the bulb was indeed bad. A minute later a new bulb was in and we were home free. I replaced the gauge cluster, rehooked the light switch, and tested. I have light back on the speedo where I didn't before, but there is no light at 60-70mph.

Did I miss one??? I don't recall another black bulb socket that close to the one I replaced. Like I said, 0-60 is good, 75 on up is now great, but just dark at 60-70...? From what I read on other forums, the white bulb sockets are for indicator lights. Is this true? There may have been a white bulb socket close to the one I replaced, I really don't recall. Could it be something wrong with the distribution of light in the gauge itself? I really don't care to take apart that gauge cluster again, as I found working with it and the gear indicator a bit nerve racking.

Any help, ideas, or information to put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hey, just a heads up I have a 98 ranger, and it has four 194 bulbs in it, one is at the very top around the 60-70mph mark, did you replace that one (its a twist out wedge 194)

Back