???? Dash instruments go goofy when A/C is on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

???? Dash instruments go goofy when A/C is on.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Weirdest thing. When the A/C is on, 3 of 4 gauges act up.

Switch A/C on..
Oil pressure gauge goes up.
Temp gauge goes up.
Volt gauge goes up.

Turn the fan from low to high, all three go even higher. Start from low fan speed, and go up one speed at a time, they all go up following the fan speed selection.

Turn the fan speed from high to low, all three go down following the fan speed selection.

So, the higher the fan speed is, the higher the gauges read. The lower the fan speed is, the lower the gauges read. The needles move instantly up or down with the fan speed switch.

Is my Cluster messed up? Is there something else that would cause this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas here. :salute:

In my 94 i had a problem with the negative ground cable or one of its many acc leads... had coroded.. if I ran too many acc's or if the abs was activated the dash would go crazy. it eventually got so bad the car would clunk out in the middle of traffic and have no power to anything. I would say check to make sure the neg cable and terminal are in good repair - not rusty, loose, corroded, etc...

not sure on these but be sure your motor to frame ground is good and body ground is good as well. amazing what them little things can cause.

Back