• Register Today It's free!

dash kit

JoshyWalker

Reaction score
City, State
Airway heights, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
hey yall! I recently acquired a double din head unit that i attempted to install into my 2000 ford explorer XLT, but when i went to install it with the dash kit, there was nowhere to screw or connected the dash kit to inside the center dash. has anyone else ran into this problem, and if so how did you fix it??

Is it the Metra kit?

It's been a few years since I swapped the radio in mine but if I remember correctly it was a pressure/snap fit. Once you put the filler pieces in, the radio will slide in from the front and once it goes all the way in, it clicks. The head unit kind of lays on a bracket on the inside of the dash. The thing you want to be careful of is that the plastic for all of the OEM trim pieces is brittle after 22 years. It's very easy to snap the tabs holding the center AC vents to the bezel.

Yes there is a little lip around the inside of the bezel. Your DIN bracket will catch this lip when pushed in & then your radio will slide into the DIN bracket & lock in place. Expect to break the bezel tab in a corner or the AC vent tab. Both are broke on mine.

Back