Dash lights, how hard to change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash lights, how hard to change?

Hey all, new member here, hopefully with an easy question for you pro's.

The dash lights in our 98 XLT 4.0 SOHC Explorer are partially burnt out. How hard is it to replace the bulbs? The bulbs that are gone are the ones for the fuel level and I think battery level (bottom left and right of dash).

Anyone change these bulbs at just 53,000 miles? Wierd isn't it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes that happens.
Do a search on lumiglo guages install or white faced guages and there is a good instruction on how to remove the dash panel to get at the light bulbs.

thanks alot........probably should do the white face 'look' while I'm in there changing the bulbs too, good suggestion!!

Scotti,

did you ever find that link regarding the install of new dash lights. My fuel light just went out and i am looking for some instruction as well.

thanks,
nate

Look on pg.2 of "List of usefull threads" section for white faced guages.

I put the white Euro guages in mine... like the look mostly but started to pull things out and decided it was going to be a pain... the dealer said they'd do it for ~75 or $100... it took them 4 tries, and they ended up taking it to a detailer and having to pay them 3 or $400 dollars due to different guages sticking at any given time... it finally all works but was apparently a major pain in the butt.
Fortunately, I only had to pay the originally quoted amount. :D
So, just a word of caution... before you get ticket for doing 60 in a 45 when your guages told you that you were only going 45 mph. :eek:

I just put the glo gauges and changed all the bulbs while I was at it in my 96. It was really pretty easy following the write up someone here did. I had to take the dash apart a few times because I had neddles rubbing also, but to get them lined up and then check them, I guess it was unaviodable. Not bad though, like I said, I can have the cluster back out in 10-15 mins. And it doesn't take much pressure on those neddles to make em stick.

Back