Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
Does any one have a good Idea on how to change the color of the dash lights, light up. I was able to take the wiper and rear defrost switches apart hoping to get them glow white. But instead they glow amber. I would like to get them to blue to match the WFG I got. any ideas...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://home.viptx.net/~krisg/explorer1.html
my site has moved!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kris,

Go to Autometers's site (www.autometer.com), select 1999 Catalog, go to page 73, scroll to the bottom. They have bulb covers in 4 colors. I use the green ones, and they work well.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it might give you some ideas.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

also if you feel like messing with lights...you might change the ones in the doors and ceiling...It looks pretty good usually.

Scott, how do those things work? if you wanted to put them on the dome light, do they just slip over the bulb?...same way w/the door lights? and where do you get them...autometer doesnt sell to customers...they just sell to like performance parts stores...how did you get yours?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

[This message has been edited by Turner55 (edited 05-07-2000).]

Make sure you get the bulbs with the glass the color you want because the painted ones fade and then you have to replace them like every couple of months depending on usage. I put the colored glass ones in my liscense plate lights and it looks real good, had them for about a month and they still shine blue.

------------------
Ryan Kelso
93 Explorer Sport 4x4
K&N Drop In
ProComp Pro Runner Light Bar
Stull Billet Grille
2 Hella 500's
Blue Opta Fogs
GTS Blackouts
Kenwood and Kicker Stereo

cowboyz1659@hotmail.com

The lights for the dome/doors can be bought at almost any auto-parts store. I still haven't tackled the dash, but I like the license plate idea.

------------------
'91 Eddie Bauer
cylindrical K&N filter, removed air box,
Clarion Head unit,
JL 5X7s

Turner55,

My covers came with the gauges, but you can have any speed shop order from Autometer for you.

These covers are designed to slip over the small bulbs found in gauges - they won't fit on a dome light bulb.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

hybrid, are you talking about the colored ones or the regular bulbs? i want colored

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

kris, i was just looking at www.autosyndicate.com and noticed that they had the colored 194 bulb, the same as used in the dash. you can also get the blue bulb at www.jegs.com (it's in their catalog, but i'm not sure if it's on their site). hope this helps.

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Back