Dashboard and Radio Lights Don't Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dashboard and Radio Lights Don't Work

myexplorertruck

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I just bought a 2008 Explorer. I can't read the dashboard or radio. Is it a fuse or problem with bulbs?

Doubt if all the bulbs would burn out at once. The owner's manual says fuse #23 (in the fuse box under the dash) controls the Interior lamps, puddle lamps, cargo lamp, battery saver, and Instrument illumination. You might see if the other lights supplied by this fuse are working.
The lights can be manually turned off. Try the "wheel" knob near the headlight switch.
You can download an owner's manual here:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html

I had that problem on my 2010 Explorer sport trac adrenalin. Could not see any of the display lights on the radio, station, song to set up a phone or bluetooth music etc. Was totally black. Found a video on you tube (there are tons, find the one the explorer radio and removal) and followed advice about bad solder joints on radio. Ordered dashboard removal tools from Napa to remove centre dashboard console, removed radio, took it into my kitchen, re soldered the connections on the back of my radio. First tested soldering on a junk car radio I picked up, to master my technique. Now it works like a charm. All lights function like new. Took about a hour of removal, half an hour of soldering, then re assembling.

Back