• Register Today It's free!

Dashboard Brake Light

jsblack14208

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgefield, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport
I replaced the pads on my girlfriend's Explorer a few months ago, and ever since, the BRAKE warning light on the dash has been on.

When removing the old, thin pads, I had to push back the wheel cylinders to make space for the new, thick pads. This raised the brake fluid level in the master cylinder as you might expect, (I didn't drain out the extra fluid to prevent the master cylinder fluid level from going above the high mark as recommended in my Haines manual). I suspect there was a high-level and low-level switch in the master cylinder, and I tripped it on doing the brake job?

I subsequently flushed and bled the entire brake system. Now that the brake fluid level in the master cylinder is within the high/low limits, I thought the light would have gone off.

I thought this might be an OBDII issue, but my local parts place can't or won't give me any guidance on whether the dashboard BRAKE warning light can be reset, as a CHECK ENGINE light can.

Other threads seem to suggest parking brake issues?

I am at wits end. Any suggestions on a fix, other than a small square of electrical tape applied over the light;)?

Thanks in advance!

-Stuart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you need to bleed them again. What sequence did you use to bleed them?

IIRC, the same light indicates either low fluid in the master cylinder, or that the parking brake is applied. (I don't believe that there is any "high level" switch for the master.) So the first thing to do is figure out which condition it is indicating. First, make sure that the parking brake is fully off. Then, unplug the connector at the master cylinder and see if the light goes off. I don't know if the switch is "normally closed" or "normally opened", so if unpluging it doesn't turn off the light, try jumpering the contacts at the master together and see if the light goes off then. If the light goes off, the master cylinder switch is bad. If neither operation turns off the light, then find the switch on the parking brake and unplug that (it's probably on the frame of the parking brake pedal). If light then goes off, replace that switch. Best I can do wthout a schematic. Good luck.

Thanks gentlemen, I will pursue this this weekend. I followed the bleed-sequence recommended in the Haines, and went through it the circuit two times. No spongy-ness or lack of pedal. The brakes feel really good...

Soooooo, I am thinking that the fluid levels are right and that there is not any air in the lines (knock on wood), and that the issue must be tension or lack-of on the parking brake cables, or perhaps electrical issues? I will pursue your course of action, Bob.

Thanks again!

Id check the switch at your parking brake. When i bought mine it was sticky and when i would set my parking brake it would never illuminate the light. Perhaps reverse has happened?

Back