Date Stamp on Fender | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Date Stamp on Fender

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2014 Explorer and suspect it's been in an accident.
Is there a way to tell if the driver side front fender is original?
I noticed there is a white sticker on the inside of the fender with part # 16006a. That is the OEM part #.
Would a factory fender have that part # sticker? Or would the sticker only be on replacement parts?

There are OEM fender part numbers that end with that, so it could be an OEM piece. Do an online search for that part number and "Ford Explorer Fender" or similar terms.

Factory OE fenders will have a (matching) VIN sticker.
OE replacement fenders will have a sticker that says R-DOT.
Aftermarket replacement fenders will not have stickers, but have a stamp with their name. Not to insult your intelligence, but I am going to say it anyway, if it says anything other than FORD, it is aftermarket replacement.

You can tell if it has been painted most obviously by color match, if the color match is good, look at the jamb. If it has been painted, there most likely will be a paint edge of some sorts.

Let me know what you find.

I purchased a 2014 Explorer and suspect it's been in an accident.
Is there a way to tell if the driver side front fender is original?

The sticker is white, it does not contain a VIN #.
On the sticker is:
BB5Z
16006a
07/19/13

Factory OE fenders will have a (matching) VIN sticker.
OE replacement fenders will have a sticker that says R-DOT.
Aftermarket replacement fenders will not have stickers, but have a stamp with their name. Not to insult your intelligence, but I am going to say it anyway, if it says anything other than FORD, it is aftermarket replacement.

You can tell if it has been painted most obviously by color match, if the color match is good, look at the jamb. If it has been painted, there most likely will be a paint edge of some sorts.

Let me know what you find.

The sticker is white, it does not contain a VIN #.
On the sticker is:
BB5Z
16006a
07/19/13

Not positive on exploror fenders. But ranger fenders and the f150 fenders used to have a date stamp on the metal rail up top where the bolts are up towards the nose cone.
I've never looked to see if visible thru primer and paint.
I used to work in the stamping plant that produced them. Until 2006.

Back