Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Disable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Disable?

SFBayLEO

Reaction score
City, State
Burlingame, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford PIU
Hi Everyone,

We have a few 2020 PIUs and were told there is no way to disable the DRL. Local Ford dealers advised that the vehicles must come from the factory with the option to disable DRLs. Is anyone aware of a workaround for this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Have you checked the settings in the displays? Some have "Configurable" DRLs which allows you to turn the feature ON/OFF. That is usually covered in the Owner's Manual. See page 72 of the Manual.

Peter

The ones we have are not configurable through the settings. Local dealership had the vehicle and said there is no fix available through Ford.

On the 5th gen Explorers (retail) the DRL could be turned OFF using FORScan which is similar to Ford's IDS which dealers have access to.

Peter

Any updates if this issue could be corrected? Our newest fleet has the same issue.

I can do this with the newer GEN6 PIU's in person. I may be able to do it remotely but I have not attempted that yet.

Done... using an OBD Link and Forscan I was able to find the DRL setting in the Body control module and disable it. Ridiculously simple.

Daytime running lights have proven many times to drastically reduce head o collisions. I don’t understand why you’d want them off.

Daytime running lights have proven many times to drastically reduce head o collisions. I don’t understand why you’d want them off.

Source for this valuable information? Because people staring at their phones don't see marked police cars and fire trucks with lights/sirens on, I'm not so sure how DRL's are going to reduce anything?

This unit was using lights and siren when he got hit head on, FWIW, his head lights were on as well...

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

I rest my case..................

Rest your case? Based on a single accident?

Great scientific method. You must be a scholar.

The use of DRL reduces the number of multiparty daytime accidents for cars by about 5 to 10 percent (intrinsic effect). All of the analyzed studies estimated a reduction in the number of accidents, but the size of the reduction varied from study to study.

It seems that there are various results in tests that were conducted but overall it seems that the use of DRL does reduce daytime accidents although in some cases, very little. It surely can't hurt to use them just to be on the safe side. I've found them to be very good to help see oncoming traffic on those hot, hazy days with the heat rising from the roadways.

Peter

LOL, I have more, lots more, we stack up cars like firewood.
Yeah. The cars you DON’T stack up aren’t at all relevant, are they? Of course they aren’t.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. The cars you DON’T stack up aren’t at all relevant, are they? Of course they aren’t.
And your proof DRL's save lives? I just gave you 1 example how all the lights in the world to the front didn't prevent a head on collision, I say if you want them on, then great, if you want them off, still great. Because there is no statistic that will show you that they prevented anything.

Back