Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Disable? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Disable?

And your proof DRL's save lives? I just gave you 1 example how all the lights in the world to the front didn't prevent a head on collision, I say if you want them on, then great, if you want them off, still great. Because there is no statistic that will show you that they prevented anything.
Again, your scientific method is total garbage. It means zilch. I could link to statistics, but I’ll pass. You want to remain ignorant with your garbage reasoning, keep at it.

All I’d have to do to refute your non-sense is to go around taking pictures of all the cars that haven’t been in accidents. See how stupid that sounds? That’s your reasoning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you not read the links in post #17? Why would most of the countries, other than the U.S. have mandated DRL laws. It makes perfect sense that a vehicle with its lights ON is easier to see than one without, particularly at a distance.

Peter

Did you not read the links in post #17? Why would most of the countries, other than the U.S. have mandated DRL laws. It makes perfect sense that a vehicle with its lights ON is easier to see than one without, particularly at a distance.

Peter
Unless, your drunk, high, texting, looking at your phone, reading a book, reading the paper, putting makeup on, eating a bowl of cereal. So yes, I have investigated crashes and these were some of the answers the drivers gave for not seeing the other vehicle (s).
But, I understand my logic is garbage, and I don’t live in a country with mandatory DRL’s, so I won’t see a lamp burning at 40% intensity is more attention grabbing than a lighted police car, but, you guy’s know best, your board, your rules.

Unless, your drunk, high, texting, looking at your phone, reading a book, reading the paper, putting makeup on, eating a bowl of cereal. So yes, I have investigated crashes and these were some of the answers the drivers gave for not seeing the other vehicle (s).
But, I understand my logic is garbage, and I don’t live in a country with mandatory DRL’s, so I won’t see a lamp burning at 40% intensity is more attention grabbing than a lighted police car, but, you guy’s know best, your board, your rules.
Could you expain what your rational is for not wanting them on. Not trying to be confrontational just asking.

Hey, as long as you understand it ;)

Could you expain what your rational is for not wanting them on. Not trying to be confrontational just asking.
On a police vehicle? It’s hard to sneak up on people in the middle of the night when your drl’s Are on, it’s the same reason we disable interior lights and the door chimes.

On a POV, it’s not law in the U.S., so if someone doesn’t want them, it’s their choice, my opinion is we have squad cars get hit regularly with their emergency equipment activated, people claim they never saw/heard them, drl’s aren’t magical, so if you can’t see a police car that is well lighted, you won’t see drl’s.

That garbage pic I posted was a unit that had it’s lights /siren activated enroute to a call, during the night, 1am ish, and was hit head on by a driver who didn’t see him, if we only would have just had drl’s that crash may have been avoided?

It was my understanding the OP wanted to disable the drl’s on a batch of new squads, then the supporters of drl’s started chipping their beaks because other’s didn’t believe as they do. If someone wants to turn off a feature, it’s their car, if you live in America you can make changes to said features, it may be good or bad, but it’s how the owner wants their car.

Peter
I can google lots of things, and get multiple answers, and it means nothing, as the people asking are in the U.S. and drl’s are not mandated, and the OP was asking about turning this off on police vehicles. Not everyone on this forum is from Europe, Australia or Canada.

Yeah, because major insurance companies typically give reduced rates for things that aren’t proven to work. They’re really just in the business of being nice guys, and not wanting to take as much of your money as they can.

Because something isn’t mandated obviously doesn’t mean it’s pointless.

Yeah, because major insurance companies typically give reduced rates for things that aren’t proven to work. They’re really just in the business of being nice guys, and not wanting to take as much of your money as they can.

Because something isn’t mandated obviously doesn’t mean it’s pointless.

YOU are getting discounts because your driving 20YO cars, I see no discounts given by my insurance on safety features on a vehicle, I do get discounts for multiple vehicles, safe driving, no traffic infractions etc. Insurance rates are mainly based on the amount of claims paid out within a certain area for that style/model vehicle, of course my insurance man told me that, so I am sure there is no merit.

IMO, DRL's are a feel good safety device, as opposed to a seatbelt of an airbag that actually does something, buy that is MY opinion, yours may vary, and..... I don't care.

YOU are getting discounts because your driving 20YO cars, I see no discounts given by my insurance on safety features on a vehicle, I do get discounts for multiple vehicles, safe driving, no traffic infractions etc. Insurance rates are mainly based on the amount of claims paid out within a certain area for that style/model vehicle, of course my insurance man told me that, so I am sure there is no merit.

IMO, DRL's are a feel good safety device, as opposed to a seatbelt of an airbag that actually does something, buy that is MY opinion, yours may vary, and..... I don't care.
My car isn’t 20 years old. At least 4 major insurance companies give a discount specifically for DR

But, of course, since you don’t personally it’s like your singular examples, and doesn’t count.

So they aren’t worth their visibility, but cops need them off to “sneak” up on people. I would LOVE to hit a cruiser of some cop stupid enough to be lurking around with no lights. I’d be enjoying a few years off work.

I can google lots of things, and get multiple answers, and it means nothing, as the people asking are in the U.S. and drl’s are not mandated, and the OP was asking about turning this off on police vehicles. Not everyone on this forum is from Europe, Australia or Canada.
While the OP was asking about the PIU, the general discussion appears to have evolved into DRL in general. The disabling DRL question is not limited to just this subforum. But, the encouraging sign IMO is that there are more threads/posts by members asking how to enable them. I can recall walking home from school in the late '50s and seeing cars where owners installed a single white light in the center of the grille. But then, it's apparent everyone has their own opinions on this feature.

Peter

My car isn’t 20 years old. At least 4 major insurance companies give a discount specifically for DR

But, of course, since you don’t personally it’s like your singular examples, and doesn’t count.

So they aren’t worth their visibility, but cops need them off to “sneak” up on people. I would LOVE to hit a cruiser of some cop stupid enough to be lurking around with no lights. I’d be enjoying a few years off work.
Yep, 23 years old, if not, you may want to update your sig line.

Doubtful you will get a payout as long as those LEO’s are on a call, there are some calls you need to roll up dark on in the middle of the night, it’s hard to sneak up on a in progress call when your lights stay on.

Apparently, you have an axe to grind with the police based on your tone, or maybe, your just a Dick to everyone. 🤷

Yep, 23 years old, if not, you may want to update your sig line.

Doubtful you will get a payout as long as those LEO’s are on a call, there are some calls you need to roll up dark on in the middle of the night, it’s hard to sneak up on a in progress call when your lights stay on.

Apparently, you have an axe to grind with the police based on your tone, or maybe, your just a Dick to everyone. 🤷
I’m only a dick to clowns. I don’t care what kind of call you are on, you can’t be a danger to the general public. That’s kind of the opposite of what a cop is supposed to do. No one even sees the flashing lights, remember? Should be able to sneak up on anyone sirens blazing without them noticing. I submit your exhibit A for this evidence. Slam dunk.

My signature clearly shows a 2018. I’m not mathematician but I’m pretty sure thats not quite 23 years. Can you do the math for me?

I’m only a dick to clowns. I don’t care what kind of call you are on, you can’t be a danger to the general public. That’s kind of the opposite of what a cop is supposed to do. No one even sees the flashing lights, remember? Should be able to sneak up on anyone sirens blazing without them noticing. I submit your exhibit A for this evidence. Slam dunk.

My signature clearly shows a 2018. I’m not mathematician but I’m pretty sure thats not quite 23 years. Can you do the math for me?

Then what are all these...........

1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD 31” TAKO's Superwinch. Rust free. Semi-retired.
1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Lifted, plow, bags. Retired.
1999 KTM 300exc RaceTech, Rekluse, single track killer

Rolling in dark to a burglary in progress, robbery in progress etc.... Or just pull up out front, blast your siren till the bad guys leave, less paperwork, it would suck to be the victim, as you didn't actually catch the bad guy, but who cares....right?

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

- Mark Twain

DRLs just work.
Same reason my landing lights were always on below 10,000 ft, especially when mixing with the VFR/VMC bunch.
See and be seen strategy. Better than nothing for collision avoidance.

I do get a kick out of the motorcycle guys with their flashing headlights though. I find them mesmerizing, and have to actually catch myself from steering directly towards them.

The issue with DRLs has absolutely nothing to do with regular driving. The issue comes in when responding to a potentially violent call for service, it's beneficial to Officer safety to have the ability to "black out" when pulling up on scene so that there is less chance of being notice, ie element of surprise. With the DRLs it was impossible to do that until the cruiser was stopped and placed in park.

Sooooooo, how did you deactivate the running lights in a 2020 PIU? I have Forscan, turned it off. But now the low beams are on when the car is in gear, not just the LED's on the headlamp

Sooooooo, how did you deactivate the running lights in a 2020 PIU? I have Forscan, turned it off. But now the low beams are on when the car is in gear, not just the LED's on the headlamp
Once you're in forscan, go to the BCM and scroll down to where it says DRL Autolamps. Should be like 6 entries, ie Personal 1, Personal 2, etc. I changed all of them to disable and hit "write." Prompted me to turn key to off position then back to on position, and BAM, no more DRLs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once you're in forscan, go to the BCM and scroll down to where it says DRL Autolamps. Should be like 6 entries, ie Personal 1, Personal 2, etc. I changed all of them to disable and hit "write." Prompted me to turn key to off position then back to on position, and BAM, no more DRLs

I did this, DRLs are on still. Wierd. Do I have to change anything in any other module?

Back