DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

Here is a picture of my RBV pre 2011:

Rangertirecarrier-bumper12.jpg

In 2010 I had an unfortunate incident in my long travel 2000 Ranger 4x4. Moving through a signalized intersection, I had someone make an illegal left hand turn. They hit me right behind the driver's side front axle. My Ranger did not fair so well:

Rangerbedrack048.jpg

Rangerbedrack052.jpg

It took over 2.5 years to work out a reasonable settlement on the truck. While the insurance was haggling over the value of my truck, I started driving a 3rd Gen 4Runner. This was the first SUV that I have owned. It has been a great vehicle, and it made me realize that an Explorer might have potential.

The nice thing about the Explorer is that many of the parts that I was able to salvage off of the Ranger will transfer over. Here is a summary of what I have to work with:

Dixon Brother's Racing 4X4 long travel kit complete with axles
Dixon Brother's Racing heim steering setup
8" coil over shocks
Giant 64" leaf spring kit (capable of 20" of rear travel)
Ford 9.75 axle out of a 2003 Harley Davidson F150 - re-drilled to 5 on 4.5
4:88 gears (front and rear)
16" triple bypass shocks
Pair of Mastercraft Safety Baja RS suspension seats

I am starting this project with a 1999 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 SOHC

dba4d4fc-e1e9-4a70-bfd7-09581fb3d97e_zps4fa5e72a.jpg

3221554c-af5e-41f9-ac22-38959aa9ce64_zps69137d09.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up the Explorer today. My job over the weekend will be to replace the interior and wire my radios and accessories. Here are some pictures from when I picked it up tonight. Oh... did I mention that it is painted?

IMG_1216_zpsedcd2003.jpg

IMG_1217_zps669f8dfa.jpg

IMG_1219_zpsfc754bb2.jpg

IMG_1221_zps3410fc6e.jpg

IMG_1222_zps9a1dde26.jpg

IMG_1223_zps31c5314d.jpg

Next week it will get it's final touches for now, a front bumper and a mounted Baja Rack. By next Friday it should be ready to roll to CA for the Offroad Expo!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

..Hoping to catch up with you today at Expo to check out your build..:popcorn:

..Hoping to catch up with you today at Expo to check out your build..:popcorn:

Sorry that we missed each other.

These are a couple of my favorites from my recent trip to Anza Borrego:

Picture179_zpsebc773f6.jpg

Picture181_zpsa29df0f7.jpg

Picture047_zps876eb5e3.jpg

I'm in love! Seeing your build makes me more anxious than ever to start mine. Did you end up running wheel spacers in the back for the time being? I have an idea of how to avoid having to do that myself but I also don't plan to run bypasses so I should have more room to spare.

I'm in love! Seeing your build makes me more anxious than ever to start mine. Did you end up running wheel spacers in the back for the time being? I have an idea of how to avoid having to do that myself but I also don't plan to run bypasses so I should have more room to spare.

I am currently running 1.5" wheel spacers on all 4 corners. Since my rear width is almost identical to my front width, running spacer on all 4 corners was my only option. I still rub a bit on the rear, but it is fairly minor compared to what I was getting before. I have found that American Eagle make a 15" wheel with a 3.25" backspace. If I can get a 15" wheel to clear the caliper on the rear axle that might be an option for me to lose the wheel spacers. However, given that I am still rubbing a bit with a 1.5" spacer, only gaining 1.25" in backspace probably is not enough.

Were you able to figure out how to make the Dixon shock towers work?

No not yet, I decided just to wait on them until I do the whole front end.

On the rear I'm thinking about notching the side of the frame if I have to. Would doing that and moving the lower mounts in help? You could move the upper mounts in too but that would require more modification.

Nice work...Is that Fish Creek Canyon? My buddy and I did a day trip through there last Nov. I'd like to do a weekend camping trip there sometime.

No not yet, I decided just to wait on them until I do the whole front end.

On the rear I'm thinking about notching the side of the frame if I have to. Would doing that and moving the lower mounts in help? You could move the upper mounts in too but that would require more modification.

I thought about doing the same thing. I still think that it could work. Now that my shock mounts are built into the cab cage and my wheel wells have been re-tubbed, I don't see myself reworking the back end to do what you are considering.

Nice work...Is that Fish Creek Canyon? My buddy and I did a day trip through there last Nov. I'd like to do a weekend camping trip there sometime.

Same general area I believe. We started out on Vallecito Wash and took the junction up Little Devil Wash. The first picture was taken in the canyon that exits after Devil's drop (Broken Shaft Gulch - I believe). The second picture was taken on the bench after the first of the three drops in Devil's drop. The third picture was taken in Little Devil's Wash.

Great build. I'd be great to get you out to Las Vegas so I can do shoot on your Explorer for Prerunner Maniac.

I have also taken over for Dixon Bros Racing and would love to add it to the gallery. PM me I you're interested.

Also do you have anymore detailed pics of your shackle set up? I just sold my Ranger and going to start building a 99 5.0 AWD Mountaineer. Your set up looks like it will provide more travel.

Great build. I'd be great to get you out to Las Vegas so I can do shoot on your Explorer for Prerunner Maniac.

I have also taken over for Dixon Bros Racing and would love to add it to the gallery. PM me I you're interested.

Also do you have anymore detailed pics of your shackle set up? I just sold my Ranger and going to start building a 99 5.0 AWD Mountaineer. Your set up looks like it will provide more travel.

PM sent.

Congrats man!!!

Congrats! I'll pick one up this weekend!

Congratulations :D Off-Road always did have good taste in cover trucks ;)

Back