DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

Here is a picture of my RBV pre 2011:

Rangertirecarrier-bumper12.jpg

In 2010 I had an unfortunate incident in my long travel 2000 Ranger 4x4. Moving through a signalized intersection, I had someone make an illegal left hand turn. They hit me right behind the driver's side front axle. My Ranger did not fair so well:

Rangerbedrack048.jpg

Rangerbedrack052.jpg

It took over 2.5 years to work out a reasonable settlement on the truck. While the insurance was haggling over the value of my truck, I started driving a 3rd Gen 4Runner. This was the first SUV that I have owned. It has been a great vehicle, and it made me realize that an Explorer might have potential.

The nice thing about the Explorer is that many of the parts that I was able to salvage off of the Ranger will transfer over. Here is a summary of what I have to work with:

Dixon Brother's Racing 4X4 long travel kit complete with axles
Dixon Brother's Racing heim steering setup
8" coil over shocks
Giant 64" leaf spring kit (capable of 20" of rear travel)
Ford 9.75 axle out of a 2003 Harley Davidson F150 - re-drilled to 5 on 4.5
4:88 gears (front and rear)
16" triple bypass shocks
Pair of Mastercraft Safety Baja RS suspension seats

I am starting this project with a 1999 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 SOHC

dba4d4fc-e1e9-4a70-bfd7-09581fb3d97e_zps4fa5e72a.jpg

3221554c-af5e-41f9-ac22-38959aa9ce64_zps69137d09.jpg

BuildFan here from BuildThreads, Inc.

Congrats and nice work, ranger242 - this build thread was chosen as a Best Build Thread pick for this week.
hat_tip.gif

What this means is that a bunch of guys who like to build stuff (cars, trucks, 4x4s, bikes, cabins, boats, planes, and garages) and have read a ton of build threads, thought that this build thread makes a valuable contribution to online DIY culture.

So, without further ado:

uTJHGVB.gif

Head over to FordBuilds.net for more outstanding builds!

Do you have any pictures you can post of the mounts for the bedsides? I have some but not sure where to start with the mounts.

Back