DDM Tuning HID's - Ordered, Here I go | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DDM Tuning HID's - Ordered, Here I go

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
Well, like many of you I would like the HID look to my EX but do not want to spend the money on new light fixtures, etc, etc.

On my Tahoe I changed out the bulbs and it looked great, but on the EX I've heard pro and con. There are also a boat-load of messages that seem hard to tear through.

I've seen a few vendors on eBay but I'm skeptic. I have heard a few good comments about DDM Tuning. So, I thought I'd make the purchase and describe the process on the board, though it's been done before, to bring things current to Dec 2012 and we'll see how things go.

I ordered 35w, 4500k. My objective is to go to the snap-on, quick response type HID bulb that gives that clear, sharp light, white, instead of the yellowish that I feel is the current solution. I not want to blind someone and I do not want any hint of blue as that, in Louisiana, is being stepped on. In fact, making any mod to factor headlights I think is illegal now so I want to look legit and not blue.

I ordered the mounting brackets but nothing else. We'll see how long it takes to come in and then take pictures and we'll see how it goes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although it doesn't stop people from doing it, buying any of those HID lights regardless of whether you have projector beams or not is illegal (using them, not buying them). All of the HID kits you buy online are from china.. there is not a single HID kit made in the USA. None of the HID bulbs are DOT approved (Department of Transportation) which is required to be legal in the US.

This is why the kits are for "off road purposes" only. Again, I'm sure it doesn't stop many but wanted to throw that out there to you.

When I had my Audi, I wanted to upgrade my factory HID's to a bluer light.. so I ordered 5,000k bulbs. I ordered them from one of 2 authorized company's from Phillips which was based in England. These bulbs were almost $150 a piece because they were true genuine HID bulbs approved in the US.. not these cheap kits you get online.

good luck. keep us posted.

i just got a huge order of HIDs at my shop - just need the time to install

When I bought my cheap hid kit for my F250, same thing happened, shipped from china. I was in big talks with Philips over the cheap kits, that's how I found out everything comes from china unless it's genuine.

Through researching, I found Kensun HID kits on amazon.. they are 4 - 5 stars on all of them and there are literally 500+ reviews averaging that rating from people who bought them. That would be my brand of choice.

I've heard of DDM on the forums but I've read good and bad.. Can't beat a 4-5 star rating with well over 500 ratings posted on amazon about them. They also replied to my emails with answers to my questions within a day every time.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

I remember having seen those but forgot all about them.

For anyone reading this thread, I would like to try and not go into a tangent on every other company selling HID kits, though I appreciate the feedback so far.

My objective was to simply hang a thread out there on one product, from order to install, each step, and let other users share that experience. There are already way too many discussions on HID companies and kits.

For anyone reading and interested on my feedback on DDM, so far I would say a failure, but I am waiting to see.

The kit arrived this week, without directions of course, so I went online to pull down my set and I find that reasonable. Reduces cost and they are always current.

I just wish that the wiring harness that is supposed to mate to my vehicle was correct. There is the bulb, ballast and then this wiring harness that makes very little sense. I can deduce some of it as the directions do not match up, but you get to a point where there is what looks like (descriptive purposes only) a relay but I am relatively sure it is the connector to the old -fashion three prong headlights.

The wiring hardness on the 2011 XLT has a two-prong connector at the light bulb. You need a female connector piece to mate to this and there is not one on the wiring harness. How nice.

So, I wrote to them today to ask them to pull my order number as a reference, look at what I was shipped and get back to me. I will let you all know when they reply and what is said.

My gut tells me that they are going to want me to buy some adapter piece, let's see.....

WAIT, WAIT:

O.K. I just found out the problem, " I " screwed up.

Somewhere in moving to quick I mis-read the bulb type for the 2011 XLT and ordered the wrong setup, hence why things do not match up.

I just want to the owner's manual, found the bulb type, check out the installation and it matches up, so I re-ordered the kit.

Now, all this said, because I was foolish and moved to quick, I will have spend $135. about on all this because I earlier bought two kits to have spares. Now I will definitely have spares! Might work out well as I would think the wiring harness changes but the lights and ballasts are likely pretty similar. I'll have two spare bulbs and two spare ballasts! LOL

Measure twice, cut once. I should have known better.

I found this diagram to be helpful when I connected my DDM set to the explorer. I have had no problems what so ever with the DDM kit.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=101&nav=0,1

I assume you didn't actually connect the black ring to the negative battery side, you grounded it to the chassis correct?

I guess it wouldn't really matter, but I've never seen a harness that instructed you to attach directly to the negative side of a battery.

I assume you didn't actually connect the black ring to the negative battery side, you grounded it to the chassis correct?

I guess it wouldn't really matter, but I've never seen a harness that instructed you to attach directly to the negative side of a battery.

Honestly I don't remember where I connected the negative side to. I'll have to look.

Apparently I did in fact connect the ground to the battery. Positive on the battery as well. Wire harness is zip ties to the existing wire harness that runs along the back side of the radiator.

Regarding the diagram of the wire harness.....

The "A" connector connects to the wire that goes through the HID Grommet and connects to the stock vehicle light plug after disconnecting it from the stock light bulb

The "B" connector connects to the HID Ballast

The wires coming from the ballast with the round connectors connect to the new HID bulb.

And of course negative wire harness connects to vehicle ground (in my case I did the negative terminal of the battery)

Positive connector of the wire harness connects to the positive terminal of the battery.

You can see where I connected them to on the battery. Very simple and straight forward connections.

If they don't work, check the polarity of your connections from the wire harness to the ballast and vehicle.

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

Although it doesn't stop people from doing it, buying any of those HID lights regardless of whether you have projector beams or not is illegal (using them, not buying them).

You're preaching to a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate people who only care about themselves. The other night, on a country road, I had to come to a complete stop to let some jerk in a lifted pickup pass by me. He was running illegal HIDs...not only in the headlights, but in the driving lights as well.

I pray each of you burn out your wiring harnesses.

You're preaching to a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate people who only care about themselves. The other night, on a country road, I had to come to a complete stop to let some jerk in a lifted pickup pass by me. He was running illegal HIDs...not only in the headlights, but in the driving lights as well.

I pray each of you burn out your wiring harnesses.

lol, you realize how stupid this sounds right? Just changing the bulbs to HID if the correct color is selected, and aiming isn't affected, won't have any affect on other traffic. You can't apply one experience w/ some guy in a lifted pickup, who likely didn't aim his lights after lifting, as a general statement to anyone adding a HID kit.

Also, how do you know his HIDs were illegal? How do you know he just didn't have his headlights properly aimed?

After install of my HID's, the very first thing i did was to take the time to properly adjust and aim the headlights to ensure no other drivers would be affected. I have never had a single person in another vehicle in front of me or approaching me, flash me. Mine are aimed properly, and they are of a color temp as to look factory.

lol, you realize how stupid this sounds right? Just changing the bulbs to HID if the correct color is selected, and aiming isn't affected, won't have any affect on other traffic. You can't apply one experience w/ some guy in a lifted pickup, who likely didn't aim his lights after lifting, as a general statement to anyone adding a HID kit.

Also, how do you know his HIDs were illegal? How do you know he just didn't have his headlights properly aimed?

Because all aftermarket hid kits are illegal in the US. Just saying...

O.K. Enough children! I DID NOT start this thread to get into yet another pissing contest on whether we should or should not put HID's in our Explorers. My objective was to relate my store on the DDM Tuning HID lights, period. I would appreciate it if the rest of you who want to get into an argument around their use or disuse take it elsewhere.

O.K. Enough children! I DID NOT start this thread to get into yet another pissing contest on whether we should or should not put HID's in our Explorers. My objective was to relate my store on the DDM Tuning HID lights, period. I would appreciate it if the rest of you who want to get into an argument around their use or disuse take it elsewhere.

But.. but.. but.. HE STARTED IT!!! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But MOM....do I have to? All the other boys and girls are doing it.......

Back