• Register Today It's free!

dead battery/charging problem

skiteach

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbury Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT, '05 L '01F250
Our '96 XLT, with 150k, started displaying the battery light. Thinking that it was time, I replaced the alternator. Son reports dead battery and battery light when accelerating. Replaced the tensioner. Replaced the battery. Lite still appears, under acceleration. Charging voltage was good, 13.5 volts after battery on charger for 1 hr. Anybody have any clues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clean your wires that go over your battery posts, make sure your ground reads close to 0 ohms and not 200 ohms for ex.

also, i always replace my belt when i replace a tensioner...also, you may have a faulty alt or voltage regulator....

Wanted to check that, son was in rush to go to buddy's. I cleaned the terminals when we put the battery in, 15 min later he called back and said lite was on. I know that Fords seem to be more finicky than others, in regards to terminal cleanliness! He drove the car yesterday and battery was dead in Am.

take and put the battery on a full trickle charge overnight...you may have a faulty new battery, i've gooten them before, rare but it does happen...

Ok, Voltage at battery, while accel hit 17v. I'm thinking defective alternator. Battery lite was flashing under accel, now I know why! Connections are all good-test low on ohm meter. Parts store will test alt tomorrow. Checked for shorts, test lite between terminal and battery cable very brite 'til I pulled fuse 29 (Audio system), has factory radio. Wiring looks to be ok. Have to test alternator, won't be first defective I've seen!

It was a defective rebuild!

Thanks for the update...

Back