• Register Today It's free!

Dead fuel pump?

MANZ

Reaction score
City, State
Olney, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
MY '94 died on Monday on the way to work. Couldn't hear the fuel pump running so I figured that was the problem. I had it towed home and checked it out further. The fuel pump fuse was blown, so I replaced it and it blew it again instantly. My fuel pump had been making excess noise for a few years now so it wouldn't surprise me if it died now. Just want to confirm - can a roached fuel pump cause the fuse to blow? Is there something else I should be checking to confirm this? I was thinking of pulling the fuel pump electrical connector and making sure the fuse didn't blow then to rule out a short somewhere else. Does that make sense, and is that connector the one on the top of the left frame rail above the axle? Or is it not accessible until the tank is lowered? Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey MANZ, sounds to me like you are on the right track, and yes if my memory serves me correctly that is the connector for the fuel pump. I did mine about a year ago and it wasn't that bad of a job.

Changing the fuel pump relay wouldn't be a bad idea. But What your describing is exactly what happened on my mustang when the stock one said bye bye.

Your in the right place. Just finished replacing mine today. Remember you may need the special gadget to release the fuel lines.

Thanks for the replies. I got a new pump today and a new locking ring from Ford in case I booger up the old one taking it out. I pulled the connector and the fuse didn't blow when I turned the key on so I'm sure it is the pump that's bad. I already have the fuel line tool too. Now, I just have to figure out how to get 19 gallons of gas out of there before I start tomorrow. Figures it would die with a full tank....

Snap just the same for me, luckily the fuel tanks for my boats outboard were all empty so I had something to put it in. One thing I found I couldnt get the hosepipe I was using to syphon it out down the filler pipe. I had to undo the rubber filler pipe at the tank end first and stick the hose in there (think its got a bend just inside the tank).

MANZ said:
Now, I just have to figure out how to get 19 gallons of gas out of there before I start tomorrow. Figures it would die with a full tank....

If it still ran,you would be more than welcome to drive up and use my garage :D

Thanks for all the replies. Got it changed last Friday without too much incident. Damn good thing I had air tools though....10 year old rusted bolts can be stubborn. Was kind of a pain, but definitely worth the ~$400 I saved by doing it myself.

Back