• Register Today It's free!

Dead Horse but I need help fast

ubtripn

Reaction score
City, State
Boise
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
I have been having tranny issues, I thought it was slipping but then I realized it might be searching for a gear. When cold shifts fine, when warm first gear from dead stop would shudder with half gas pedal pressed fast. Then it started searching for gears later on the highway. I would give it a little gas while doing 65 and it would start searching hard for the correct gear. Maybe it wasn't slipping at all so I looked at the kickdown cable and there is a red cap on the gas pedal line but whatever was on the transmission kickdown line has broken off - could this be the cause of all my woes? This is under the hood, the throttle linkage.

Nevermind, under the hood it appears to be a throttle cable with another cable under it but its probably not the cause.

There's 2 cables off the pedal that come through the firewall at the same spot. One goes to the throttle body and the other is the kickdown cable going to the trans. Simply, it checks to see how much throttle you're giving it and if you're giving it tons of throttle but the vehicle is slowing down or not speeding up, the transmission goes downshifts a lower gear so the engine picks up and you can speed up. It's used a lot for overdrive, kicking in and out.

The piece on the firewall is the adjuster. If yours is missing, I don't know what kind of repercussions that would cause, maybe none, or maybe just not downshifting no matter how much throttle you give it.

Back