• Register Today It's free!

Dead tranny

isodine

Reaction score
City, State
US VIRGIN ISLANDS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi guys another thing I noticed with my 1996 ford explorer XLT 2x4 transmission automatic after the high engine rev and the transmission stopped engaging in any gear the oil level went excessively high on the the dip stick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the pressure on the transmission with a 0 - 300 PSI test gauge. It's possible that the pump gears might have cracked, and there is no fluid circulating. You could disconnect the pressure line then have somebody crank the starter to see if the fluid squirts out of the line. Another possibility is that the filter's O ring seals are no good so it's curculating air with fluid.

I drained the oil and I saw lots of particles some metal and some dirty oil the filter looks clogged I've never seen it this dirty. This explorer dealer manual says 4r44e/4r55e transmission and she was slipping and hard to catch gears before this happened I remember the vehicle did not want to start like if it had a dead battery, after insisting by cranking and pressing the gas pedal she started but with a high rev. I did not know what was happening so I put her in reverse she began to move and then that is when she went out it felt like so release of pressure took place somewhere. I'm wondering if my explorer assimilated a stall test and something went wrong. What troubles me is the excess oil in the tranny after the incident. She catches no gears I want to check the valve assembly gaskets as I have a new set to replace the old ones if damaged.

guys mechanic found broken oil pump gears and damaged torque converter what causes the gears to break

I wonder if this is whats wrong with mine? I put it in any gear and it doesn't do anything except rev. Just like its in park or neutral. I was getting the OD light flashing. Took the VB out and its all good.

Check it out. Now, since I purchased my 96 explorer in 2003 it had a check engine light and it had two codes, which were shift solenoid and speed sensor shift solenoid or something like that. All these years all I did was change the transmission oil filter and oil and she would run better. Then after about six months to a year she would start to slip again until it went out just before I got a chance to changed it. I also got OD alarm and engine would go like on brake mode and I would just force her to go forward pressing on the gas pedal or dropping to hi or low 2 or 1 on shift lever and she would drive better anyone with this problem also. what solenoids should I change before putting her back up?

Back