Dealer Allocations is it an issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Allocations is it an issue?

Ericg302

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 XLT
'22 ST
Hi All

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm looking to order a new Explorer ST for the wife to replace her '12 XLT. I have checked with dealers in the Boston area and some are saying MSRP less Ford incentives others are marking up orders $1-2K over MSRP. The ones marking up are telling me that they have the allocation to actual order the new explorer where these others probably don't and won't be able to even order the truck for several months. Has anyone heard of a dealer not being able to put in a new customer order straight away? This seems like BS to me, however the dealer that told me that is one that my family has bought several cars from before and they have been fine to deal with. Any insight here would be great, I don't want to over pay but I don't want a dealer to tie me up for 6 months b/c they can't actually order the thing.

Thanks
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Eric.
I don't believe the allocation is an issue. You should be able to place an order and have it sent in right away. Now when the actual order gets executed is another thing. First you should receive a VOC ( Vehicle Confirmation Order) followed by the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). These are usually sent to the dealer who then should pass them along to the customer. Given today's part shortages, the actual build process is taking much longer than usual. I think 4 - 5 months could be a possibility and then you may not get everything, such as rear climate controls in the initial shipment. Many are being shipped now with missing components which in some cases will be installed for free when parts become available. Check this thread for an idea of timelines. Ordered a 22
Also, see this one. Ford to ship and sell Explorer SUVs with missing chips
BTW, the 2023 Aviator is set to begin production on June 27th. No word on the Explorer but they are built at the same facility.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Best guess how long after I order with the dealer should i see the VOC or the DORA. I figure those are the best way to know it is ordered. At that point it's on the what ever Ford's build timeline is.

Thanks
Eric

Dealer allocation can be an issue that effects when a car is built and delivered to a specific dealer. Ask the dealer you want to order from what his allocation status is for the model you want.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Best guess how long after I order with the dealer should i see the VOC or the DORA. I figure those are the best way to know it is ordered. At that point it's on the what ever Ford's build timeline is.

Thanks
Eric
It is hard to say when these documents will be available. I would think that a week or two is the norm but then, what is the norm these days?

Peter

Yeah I guess the new normal is nothing is consistent. I spoke to a few dealers and they all say they have the allocation. the only difference is some say 8-10 weeks others say 12-15 weeks. I wonder if that is some sign of allocation or just their stand responses right now b/c as you say nothing is normal.

Yeah I guess the new normal is nothing is consistent. I spoke to a few dealers and they all say they have the allocation. the only difference is some say 8-10 weeks others say 12-15 weeks. I wonder if that is some sign of allocation or just their stand responses right now b/c as you say nothing is normal.
8 - 10 weeks is what it used to take, pre-pandemic. I would guess 15 weeks would sound about right the way things are now. Several members have posted their timelines.

Peter

I took a spin through the threads, seems like 12 weeks is sweet spot.

Now that Ford is shipping with missing chips the timeline on certain models is improving. We are awaiting shipment on ours from a 1/21 order Xlt. Our dealer did say that he just had a customer with almost the same build order on 2/21 and it showed up on lot 3/29 with a blend of 3/26. The dealer is also closer to plant so short convoy trip. They are also storing explorers close to where I live which is about 45 min- hour away from plant.

One build coordinator at a dealer told me that b/c we were getting a 400a package with less content as compared to the 401a and the auto start/stop and rear A/C control delete that it should help get it build quicker. Don't know if there is any truth to that but seems logical.

Now that Ford is shipping with missing chips the timeline on certain models is improving. We are awaiting shipment on ours from a 1/21 order Xlt. Our dealer did say that he just had a customer with almost the same build order on 2/21 and it showed up on lot 3/29 with a blend of 3/26. The dealer is also closer to plant so short convoy trip. They are also storing explorers close to where I live which is about 45 min- hour away from plant.
Dealer ordered mine Sept. Built Dec. still not here. That's 6 months.

Dealer ordered mine Sept. Built Dec. still not here. That's 6 months.
I almost wonder when they ship them off to sit in storage lots if they just keep piling the new ones in and the older ones just get left last in line. You’d like to think it would be first in first out but who knows. If that is the case then maybe you’ll get yours soon and I’ll be waiting until July.

i ordered mine it giving a build date of april 25th

Just an update I ordered the ST last week from a dealer just west of Boston. They had no mark up so it ended up being MSRP less the better of the Ford incentives now or at the time of delivery. Right now the rebate was $1500. I got the order confirm from Ford in a couple days. No VIN / build date yet but the dealer said that takes about two weeks. They thought best guess would be 10 weeks but we will see when I get the VIN. Thanks for all the insight guys that was helpful.

Just an update I ordered the ST last week from a dealer just west of Boston. They had no mark up so it ended up being MSRP less the better of the Ford incentives now or at the time of delivery. Right now the rebate was $1500. I got the order confirm from Ford in a couple days. No VIN / build date yet but the dealer said that takes about two weeks. They thought best guess would be 10 weeks but we will see when I get the VIN. Thanks for all the insight guys that was helpful.
saying early may for me after ordering around end of march so 7-8 weeks not complaining.

saying early may for me after ordering around end of march so 7-8 weeks not complaining.
I think that might be overly optimistic. The usual timeframe given before all these issues with the pandemic and chip shortages was 8-10 weeks.

Peter

I think that might be overly optimistic. The usual timeframe given before all these issues with the pandemic and chip shortages was 8-10 weeks.

Peter
scheduled build day was faster than they thought actually. its scheduled the 25th of this month. they initially told me it would be mid may before it was even scheduled to be built and prob wouldnt get it in til in june. so apparently ford is ahead on these.

Hope it works out well for you Eric. I ordered a maverick at the end of october and have yet to even get a VIN assigned much less a build or delivery date. Bronco buyers have it worse from what I hear. This supply chain nonsense is ruining everything.

The allocation thing is byzantine at best. It was causing so many complaints Ford dropped allocations and is going by date of order at least for the maverick.

The dealer did mention that the Maverick and Bronco were very tough to get and that Ford was closing the SuperDuty order books for 2022 models b/c of such a high order demand. I think ordering vehicles will be the new normal for quite sometime. My dad says that in the 60s through to the early 80s ordering was the norm. He also said that they took about 4-6 weeks to come in not 8-12 or more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer did mention that the Maverick and Bronco were very tough to get and that Ford was closing the SuperDuty order books for 2022 models b/c of such a high order demand. I think ordering vehicles will be the new normal for quite sometime. My dad says that in the 60s through to the early 80s ordering was the norm. He also said that they took about 4-6 weeks to come in not 8-12 or more.

I think ordering was different years ago. Back on the 70's my dad "ordered" a car in a particular color and configuration. IIRC The dealer basically worked the phones to find one close to what he wanted and had them ship it from another dealer. It wasn't a custom order like they are doing now, it was already built and out at another dealer and his dealer just had to find it.

Back