Dealer charge to get vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer charge to get vehicle

draw73

Reaction score
I found a vehicle that matches what I want but it is 200 miles away from my local dealer. The salesman mentioned something about a charge for them to go and bring the vehicle here. Has anyone else heard of this? I would think they would do it happily to get a sale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a vehicle that matches what I want but it is 200 miles away from my local dealer. The salesman mentioned something about a charge for them to go and bring the vehicle here. Has anyone else heard of this? I would think they would do it happily to get a sale.

Hmm, what amount are they asking for? If it's too much, you could get the car yourself.

Well dealers do deals / trades all the time. I've seen dealers charge to get the vehicle you want because they have to go out and bargain with that dealer to get the vehicle since they probably don't know that dealership.

Tell em no thanks, you found a dealer that wants your business and isn't gonna charge you a fee for transferring it to their dealership..

I agree- they pay or you walk.

Yes, have heard of it, but nobody has ever charged me anything.

I've had my local Ford dealership get me 2 vehicles from different dealers and was never charged....don't pay it.

Tell them you are going to order from factory instead (if you can wait) and tell them you want the price reduced for the 2% holdback they get from Ford, as well :)

Tell them you are going to order from factory instead (if you can wait) and tell them you want the price reduced for the 2% holdback they get from Ford, as well :)

Ford is 3%, not 2%. ;)

Tell em no thanks, you found a dealer that wants your business and isn't gonna charge you a fee for transferring it to their dealership..

It's not a transfer. They have to buy the car from the other dealer. And that's if the other dealer wants to sell it.
In any case the roll-back truck gets $75+ just for the hook-up, and almost $4/mile. So let me know where the $875 is going to come from.

I don't think they'd pay to have it towed, Two people would drive there and drop one guy off to drive it back.

Is it actually in the other dealers inventory? Or is just assigned there? Sometimes they'll say "oh another dealer has it" to get the $$ when the other dealer simply has it on order. You can always work a deal with the other dealer if you don't mind instantly adding 200 mi to your ex right off the bat!

If the other dealer just has it on order they can usually do a transfer that hits at the distribution point.

I would think they would do it happily to get a sale.
Why?

To get the other vehicle they likely have to do a dealer trade, and pay to have the vehicle moved. If the other dealer doesn't like their trade, they may have to compensate the other dealer.

So all the blanket statements of "never pay extra, tell them to pound salt, etc." are kind of ludicrous. Why would a local dealer want to pay extra for a deal like that and cut into their profits on another sale they can make.

Your alternatives include waiting, go do a deal with the dealer 200 miles, have the vehicle shipped, etc. If the proposed charge was reasonable, I'd weigh the wait time to order vs. what it is worth to get it now, and decide if it is worth it.

I would just travel the 200 miles myself and pick up the car. That's what I did with my Mustang. And the drive back home was a fun experience.

I would go to that dealership and get it myself....if anyone is gonna drive my car 200 miles right off that bat, its gonna be me....make the deal with the other dealership and drive it back home yourself. That would give you so road time to adjust your seat, radio presets, mirrors, etc.

Paying to do a swap is a normal thing in this area. They have to pay a driver or a tow truck to go get the vehicle. That money has to come from somewhere.

It they are already doing a mini, they aren't going to do it for free.

No charge for me, but they refused to flatbed it. They did a dealer swap with another Team Ford dealer. Driven back to Atlanta with more mileage than I would have liked. Already broken in.

I would just travel the 200 miles myself and pick up the car. That's what I did with my Mustang. And the drive back home was a fun experience.

Really, just screw the salesman you've been working with and buy it somewhere else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paying to do a swap is a normal thing in this area. They have to pay a driver or a tow truck to go get the vehicle. That money has to come from somewhere.

It they are already doing a mini, they aren't going to do it for free.

Exactly. A dealer trade from a store across town is one thing, but 200-miles is likely more money than is left in the deal, and I'll pass on a car that was driven 200-miles for the trade. I'll get my own stone chips thank you.

Back