Dealer Installed Class III Towing package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Installed Class III Towing package

Hello, I am getting ready to buy a 2015 XLT 4WD Explorer, and one of my requirements to the dealer was that it came with the towing package so that I could occasionally pull my Honda (3600 lbs).... They acquired one without the tow package but have offered to install it at the dealership.... I have been trying to figure out if it's going to be as good as the factory and make sure I will legally be able to tow up to 5000 lbs with it... Has anyone had a dealership install the package?

According to the 2015 Ford Towing Guide, the only items included in the option "52T" factory towing package are:
1. 7-wire harness & 4/7-pin connector
This can certainly be done. But be sure they are giving you the full setup.
Basic wiring would only set you up with trailer wiring (4-wire). But the full 7-wire setup includes more. Ask specifically that they are also setting you up with a 12V switched charge line, and wiring for electric brake controller. Brake controller wiring will include the 4/7-way connector at the back, and a 6-pin rectangular socket under the dashboard to plug in your brake controller (sold separately...get the Tekonsha P2 or P3...plug and play).

2. Hitch receiver (rated at least 5,000 lbs)
Should be simple.

3. Engine oil cooler
Should be simple.

Since axle gearing does not need to be changed, this should certainly be doable. Just make sure you know what you are getting in the wiring.

Back