Dealer Motorcraft parts vs online Motorcraft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Motorcraft parts vs online Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Is there any difference between the Motorcraft parts that are found in a Ford Dealer and the Motorcraft parts found elsewhere, say Amazon, Rockauto, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to be careful when buying OEM parts online. Many times they are counterfeits and very hard to spot. Especially the ones with prices so low they are too good to be true. There is a reason they are cheap and it is because they are designed poorly and built with cheap components.

Best thing to do is if buying 3rd party, look at parts here or Tasca.

Autonation at that link sells everyone online at 10% over their cost automatically. So take their sale price and divide by 1.1 to get their cost. Any motorcraft parts online cheaper then that I would question if they are legit.

Besides dealer websites I would also trust rockauto. Don't expect all motorcraft parts to say "made in usa" as there are many being made by China and other countries these days. I pulled the HVAC module out of my 17 expedition yesterday to do an upgrade. It has the good ole Ford symbol and part number etc.. on the sticker and also says "made in china"!

Thanks guys. I was thinking more of a grade A vs B parts never thought about counterfeit.
I buy at Autonation and Rockauto, but have bought some at amazon also. There were a few parts at amazon that I just didn´t buy that the price was too good to be true.

The Ford Tech guy on YouTube has a video on this:

Some of the counterfeits he shows, don't know how a layperson could tell.

On Amazon, it makes a difference if the seller is Amazon.com or a reseller. Maybe.

The Ford Tech guy on YouTube has a video on this:

Some of the counterfeits he shows, don't know how a layperson could tell.

On Amazon, it makes a difference if the seller is Amazon.com or a reseller. Maybe.

Thanks, good video. After watching it, it´s evident that the differences are too hard to spot. Instead of trying to save a few bucks I´ll buy from the dealer from now on.

Nothing personal, but I tried to follow along until just before the 7:00 minute mark where he called the spark plug terminal an "electrode". I'm not sure how I lasted that long. A nearly 21 minute video on this is absolutely ridiculous. A simple webpage with a few images and some text is all that is needed to call out the differences and what to look for when trying to determine legit parts vs counterfeit.

Here is a simple document on counterfeit coil packaging. Way easier than watching a 20 minute video, right? https://circuitboardmedics.com/content/ford-countrerfeit-coils.pdf

Here's another simple doc on spotting fake Denso plugs. How To Spot Fake Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs 2017

As for Amazon, you still have to be very careful because of the way Amazon handles their inventory and mixes the inventory that resellers send in (to be fulfilled by Amazon). It seems to happen more with expensive items, but apparently it is worth it for scammers to fake items that only cost a few dollars each.

I´ve watched many videos from Makuloco and they have helped me very much. In this case he just made a mistake with the names, he´s a very good mechanic and he knows what he´s doing. As for the video vs images, well it´s a youtube channel, not much you can do about it. But I concur with you, maybe he over did it.

Thanks

I´ve watched many videos from Makuloco and they have helped me very much. In this case he just made a mistake with the names, he´s a very good mechanic and he knows what he´s doing. As for the video vs images, well it´s a youtube channel, not much you can do about it. But I concur with you, maybe he over did it.

Thanks

Nothing personal, but I tried to follow along until just before the 7:00 minute mark where he called the spark plug terminal an "electrode". I'm not sure how I lasted that long. A nearly 21 minute video on this is absolutely ridiculous. A simple webpage with a few images and some text is all that is needed to call out the differences and what to look for when trying to determine legit parts vs counterfeit.

Here is a simple document on counterfeit coil packaging. Way easier than watching a 20 minute video, right? https://circuitboardmedics.com/content/ford-countrerfeit-coils.pdf

Here's another simple doc on spotting fake Denso plugs. How To Spot Fake Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs 2017

As for Amazon, you still have to be very careful because of the way Amazon handles their inventory and mixes the inventory that resellers send in (to be fulfilled by Amazon). It seems to happen more with expensive items, but apparently it is worth it for scammers to fake items that only cost a few dollars each.
People who have youtube channels make youtube videos. There are certain time benchmarks you need to hit in order to have paid ads. This is all very normal in the youtube world and nothing worth complaining about - it's free advice you are free to seek elsewhere in a different format. I concur with Explorer75 that this guy makes good content.

I know why the youtube retards make videos and what they are trying to do. What does that have to do with taking a simple topic and bloviating on it to excess? If it's primarily to make money, then there are much better ways to do that on the various platforms than talking about how to identify counterfeit Ford parts for 20 minutes.

He may have some other videos that are good. Maybe he needs to watch a youtube video on the KISS principle. Or, maybe he really needs to stick with more tech/repair videos where a longer run time may makes sense.

He can make a youtube video as long as he wants on whatever he wants, if youtube decides to allow it to remain is their decision. I understand that. I don't understand what gets you so worked up about something you don't have to watch or pay for.

I know why the youtube retards make videos and what they are trying to do. What does that have to do with taking a simple topic and bloviating on it to excess? If it's primarily to make money, then there are much better ways to do that on the various platforms than talking about how to identify counterfeit Ford parts for 20 minutes.

He may have some other videos that are good. Maybe he needs to watch a youtube video on the KISS principle. Or, maybe he really needs to stick with more tech/repair videos where a longer run time may makes sense.

I suggest you speed up the video beyond normal speed. This way you get it all in less time. I do this on many occasions. Many Youtube creators put a lot of time and effort into their content that we get to utilize for free. Calling them "retards" is arrogant and condescending. No one is forced to watch a Youtube video and you can find other ones that cover the same topic. My stance is that if I am getting good information for free on the back of someone else's hard work then I don't complain and insult them for their effort.

Is anyone familiar with Levittown Ford Part? I just purchased new shocks and struts, the prices were great but now I'm a little worried.

Genuine Ford Dealer Online Parts Catalog | Genuine Ford Auto Parts

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by being worried? Levittown is one of our site sponsors and Benny, one of their employees has been very helpful. They also provide a discount to Forum members. The other parts site many here have used is AutoNation Ford which has very good pricing.
AutoNation Ford

Peter

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by being worried? Levittown is one of our site sponsors and Benny, one of their employees has been very helpful. They also provide a discount to Forum members. The other parts site many here have used is AutoNation Ford which has very good pricing.
AutoNation Ford

Peter
Interesting, how do I get this discount with Levittown?

Thanks in advance

Simple solutions: get in good with your local dealer so they don't charge you retail, OR buy from vendors such as Levittown, AutoNation WBL (formerly Tousley Ford, FYI), or Tasca. You also will pay shipping when going through the online vendors, but it's about a wash if you can get jobber cost from a dealership near you.

YouTube retards? Super classy champ. I’m sure you’ve never made a simple error.

I’ll go out on a limb and say he knows a hell of a lot more about Fords than you ever will, and he’s helped FAR more people than you ever will. If you don’t like his content, find your own.

Interesting, how do I get this discount with Levittown?

Thanks in advance
I don't know for sure but I would guess that you just tell them you are a Forum member.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never seen so much hate towards ford Tec make you loco

I found the video full of info that's FREE info to
I guess I'm just a slow learner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back