dealer oil changes - computerized monitoring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dealer oil changes - computerized monitoring?

tazcubed

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I've got a 2013 Explorer Sport. It had an oil change about 2000 kilometers ago, but got the "change oil soon" message earlier this week and had 5% oil life left. Now, I understand it may have been a failure to reset the meter, but looking at the oil on the dipstick I'd say it was pretty well done (very dark, VERY strong smell - and you could smell it a bit on the exhaust fumes). Knowing it's a turbo, I'm aware that there's more wear and tear, but to me it seemed to excessive for the range driven (and it wasn't harsh mileage either). When I brought it in this week, the service attendant told me that oil changes are engaged with a computer monitoring the metering of oil, and from what I can tell, it shows up on the invoice (the quantity of oil used isn't clear - and if I'm reading it right, has a significant difference between the 2 oil changes: 237 vs 307). Is it true that dealerships use some kind of electronic monitoring in the service bays for oil changes? Any idea why there's such a difference in the amount of oil provided, if I've read the invoices correctly - roughly 20%?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of this computerized monitoring system that the service guy was talking about. Doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't exist but it would be news to me if there was such a system. And if so...I'm curious as to what it can monitor while an oil change is happening. Only thing I can think of is the amount of new oil going into the vehicle.

The quantity of oil should be the same each and every time 6 quarts or 5.7 liters. No variation of this by any meaningful amount should be acceptable. I have no idea what the 237 vs 307 could mean, but if they're only putting in a fraction of what they're supposed to put in to me says they're not letting all of the old oil drain out and/or not changing out the oil filter at every oil change. The best person to talk to would be the service manager to see if he/she can explain everything you're seeing on the invoice and whatever the service attendant told you. Something doesn't sound quite right here.

If I were you, I would play it safe and have the oil changed again anyway. Fuel dilution is a problem with these ecoboost engines especially in cold weather, and from the sounds of what you said you do have some fuel in the oil. It's common with these direct injection engines so it doesn't mean there's something necessarily wrong with your engine. My F-150 had it as well, and I'm sure my '15 Sport will too. Just means I'm going to make sure I change the oil sooner than I would a naturally aspirated engine without direct injection, especially in the winter.

After the new oil change is done, it would be a good idea to verify by pulling the dipstick and also checking the oil life monitor to make sure it got reset.

the oil life monitor does not pick up a fault such as fuel being dumped in the crankcase with a leaking fuel injector. So the OLM would use the same logarithm on a perfectly operating engine as it would on a malfunctioning engine. My guess is the OLM was not reset.

All my dealer invoices show the amount of bottles of oil used with an oil change. I also have never heard of this dealer monitoring that you spoke of. I think I'd ask for a more detailed explanation of what this means in terms of adding oil.

Peter

I work for ford at a dealership and no there is no computer monitoring system for us to use. The dealership uses a electronic oil pump to pump oil from bulk into the car but that is something new and all dealerships are different some use it out of jugs... The vehicle itself is set up with a oil life monitoring system and why it came on early is whom ever changed the oil didn't reset it. If you go through the menu on your gauge cluster you will see one that allows you to reset oil life see your owners manual. Tue ecoboost oil will get darker quicker than other non turbonl engines.

I generally always check these oil life monitors after an oil change to see if the idiots changing the oil reset them. However, after my last oil change in my Nissan, I forgot. And sure enough, driving down the road after about 800 miles, the change oil alert came on. So, it pays to check these things, which are bogus anyway, and mostly just an annoyance.

Plus one on annoyance

Back