Dealer Put in Wrong Transmission Fluid ? LV instead of SP or V | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Put in Wrong Transmission Fluid ? LV instead of SP or V

sharonis3

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Eddie V8, 02 Ltd V8
Had a transmission shudder at 40 MPH, 1,100 RPM (just in Overdrive), with just a very light throttle load....
She has 145,000 miles - so figured she needed some new transmission fluid, for anti shudder additives - so dropped off at the dealer - just got home...looked at invoice.....

Says they put in LV fluid....(XT-10-LV6) I was expecting V (original type) or SP - not LV

For a 2008 - 4.6 - 60R6 - 6 speed I think this is the wrong fluid ? Never heard tell of LV until I saw it on the invoice......

Is it wrong ? is it okay mixed with V, as the rest of the fluid in there is still Mercon V.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have 08 v8, the fluid is SP (for 6R60).
LV is used for 09-10 with 6R80 but someone here used LV on the early transmissions and it actually improved shifting.
I do not think you need to worry.
Mercon V is used in v6 models with 5R55S

SP is the correct fluid for the 6r60 trans, LV is for the newer 6r80 trans. LV is very often substituted for SP, but it is not the spec fluid for the 6r60.
Mercon V should never be used in a 6 speed trans.

Hi Guys:

thanks for the info.... me and automatic transmission shudders seem to go along... Had a 94 Mustang, that was just shaking itself to pieces and it was a transmission shudder, it was hard to believe how hard that car shook..... I had to upgrade to the then BRAND NEW Mercon V to get rid of this.....

Now I have 2 exploders - 2002 4.6 - which takes Mercon V.
and this 2008 4.6 - 6R60 6 speed, which I though originally came with Mercon V...... (is this true) then Ford came out with SP after and changed the fluid spec to a new SP ?

Think my shudder is gone, need to drive a bit more to be sure though, and it does seem to shift much nicer..... with the old fluid I not only had a shudder, but would get some funky downshifts in the higher gear ranges

..... the comment on work order was "Fluid smelled bad", so the LV is probably better than my old fluid, LV being thinner is probably okay for the winter.... But I feel like I should get them to flush out the LV before the summer and put SP in.... at least this way the remaining 6 quarts of the old original 2008 fluid would be gone.... after all - I went to the dealer to make sure the right fluid got installed - because if the shudder did not go away I was in for a transmission job....

For the future - What does everyone do for fluid changes and intervals on the 6R60...

Pan Drops ?

or Can you suck fluid out by dropping a suction tube in thru the mini dipstick hole... does it have a hole open thru to the bottom of the pain ?

If you are new to this truck, then you need to familiar yourself with the 6r60 trans. The 6 speed series of transmission require a different spec fluid. SP is spec to the 6r60, LV is spec to the 6r80. Quite likely the dealer does not stock the SP and used LV instead. This seems to be typical at many shops, BUT, it is not the Ford recommended fluid for a 6r60.
There is a thermal valve inside the trans case that does not open and allow fluid flow to the cooler until the fluid temp is above 175 F.
Therefore a flush CANNOT be done of this trans and is not recommended by manufacturer. Pan drops only.
Lots of info on this site about changing fluid for this trans and some very informative youtube videos. You cannot change trans fluid to often.

I am very familiar with the use (and benefits) of Mercon V in the AODE and 5r55e trans, BUT, it is not to be used in a 6 speed, period.

The 4.6 in your 02 is different than the 4.6 in the 08. They also came with completely different trannies: 5 speed using Mercon V on the older one, 6 speed on the 06-08 / 09/10 using SP and LV respectively.

Back