Dealer Runaround? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Runaround?

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
When you are filling up is the truck level, not on an incline?

Maybe I missed something. What is that have to do with getting low MPG?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the truck is filled up when the ground isnt level the pump could shut off before the tanks is completely filled. But I doubt an incline would have that much of an effect. I run plain ol'87 octane in my truck.

May be a oxygen O2 sensor. That happened to my dads ranger. No engine light or anything, mileage dropped about 25%, replaced O2 sensors and mileage went back to normal.

There are several ways you can test sensor itself. The simplest is just hook a voltmeter to the return signal and make sure it fluctuates rapidly when forced to run lean. The other is to remove it and heat the tip with a propane torch, the signal voltage should read almost 1v when in direct flame (lack of oxygen) and drop to 0.1 when remove (or maybe reversed). These procedures are better explained on the net.

Originally posted by lonestar
May be a oxygen O2 sensor. That happened to my dads ranger. No engine light or anything, mileage dropped about 25%, replaced O2 sensors and mileage went back to normal.

There are several ways you can test sensor itself. The simplest is just hook a voltmeter to the return signal and make sure it fluctuates rapidly when forced to run lean. The other is to remove it and heat the tip with a propane torch, the signal voltage should read almost 1v when in direct flame (lack of oxygen) and drop to 0.1 when remove (or maybe reversed). These procedures are better explained on the net.

Is this described in a Haynes / Chilton service manual? I tried searching the forum for some instructions but it won't let you search for "o2". Only 3 characters or more.

Just search Yahoo

O2 sensor test
Ford O2 sensor test
Oxygen sensor test

There is also another more technical name for it, something like EGO (Exhaust Gas Oxygen)

http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com also has some good diagnostic articles for various sensors.

well, he has a v8, so he has 3.73 gears. i get an average of 14.5 MPG and i have one hell of a heavy foot. id try running better gas, if you can get it, run chevron. techron (an additive, like that STP stuff but better) is some of the best stuff you can put in your car. you may want to try sythetics like Mobile1 oil though, you could run 5w-30, that might give you a difference. if its still under warranty, tell ford to phyisically look at all your o2 sensors, good luck

FYI - it'll take 2+ gallons more if it's facing downhill, 2+ less facing uphill....

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
FYI - it'll take 2+ gallons more if it's facing downhill, 2+ less facing uphill....

And how do you figure that?

It's true! My Sport is rated at 17 gal; but if I face the nose pointing down a slight incline, I can put in 20 gallons!! If I face the nose up, 17.5 is about it. Why??? Don't really know. It is probably the way Ford shapes it's tanks.

I have yet to find a gas station on an incline. :rolleyes:

Back