Dealer won't fix transmission bump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer won't fix transmission bump

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Have any of you had a slight bump when you're accelerating and hesitation in shifts?

I've had that for a while now, happens sometimes but dealer can't duplicate it. They refuse to fix it even though there's a TSB on it.

Anything I can do to get them to fix it? I know there is a TSB and I know there's a fix and I want this problem gone.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have experienced the same issue, my wife said she drove it once and it wouldn't even move, just rev up and then jolt forward. I haven't duplicated that extreme of a slip yet, but it has done it like you describe above. I have not yet taken it to the dealer since other annoying issues took precedence. Again, another reason why I might trade this truck in again in the near future. Ford assured me they would fix everything on it cuz they want me to be a happy customer. It's too late for that all things considered, too many issues that create too many disappointments in a brand new vehicle. This is all creating or actually confirming my worries about North American cars. This is the first time owning a domestic and it's confirming my car choices in the past, this is the first and LAST American car I will ever buy!
It's such a shame because this truck had so much potential to be AMAZING!! It's good looking, comfortable, high tech, big, fuel efficient, and luxurious.....if only it's engineers would have made it's features work and not build hollow spaces and rattling plastic parts throughout, and above all, I would have loved to see Mac software instead of microsoft, but that's a whole seperate topic.
It's sad that my posts on here have gone from proud, happy new owner, modding my newest vehicle to me ranting about it each time I post.

I experienced the exact same issue. I was accelerating onto a highway on ramp and the vehicle shook violently. Not once but twice. Took it to the dealer the next day. They were unable to replicate the problem and therefore nothing they can fix.

Took mine in. They ordered the parts for it

Here is the tsb.
Printable View (2881 KB)
TSB
11-9-11 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

Publication Date: September 19, 2011

FORD: 2010-2011 Taurus
2009 Edge, Flex
2010-2011 Edge, Flex
2011 Explorer
LINCOLN: 2010-2011 MKS
2009 MKX
2010-2011 MKT, MKX

This article supersedes TSB 11-5-6 to update the Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2009 Edge, MKX and Flex vehicles built on or after 5/4/2009, 2010-2011 Edge, Flex, MKS, MKT, MKX, Taurus and 2011 Explorer vehicles built on or before 4/15/2011 may have a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feel during a rolling stop 0-8 Km/h (0-5 MPH) followed by a harsh bump or feel like a slip on take-off from a stop followed by a harsh bump.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This valve body modification is only available for transmissions originally built with MERCON® LV listed on the dipstick.

There is a new calibration and transmission valve body change to correct this condition. The valve body change was to delete one hole in the valve body separator plate and remove one check ball from the valve body in the same area where the hole in the separator plate was deleted.

NOTE: IF THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT FOLLOWED CORRECTLY, ADDITIONAL NEW CUSTOMER SYMPTOMS WILL BE PRESENT, SUCH AS LOSS OF REVERSE OR 2-3 SHIFT FLARE.

For all model years except 2009, proceed to Step 2. For 2009 model year vehicles, verify the transmission dipstick has MERCON® LV listed on the dipstick.
Yes - The dipstick has MERCON® LV listed on the dipstick; proceed to Step 2.
No - The dipstick does not have MERCON® LV listed on the dipstick; this procedure does not apply. Follow normal Workshop Manual diagnostics.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 73.04 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Remove the transmission valve body. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.
Replace the separator plate in the valve body. The X identifies the hole in the valve body separator plate which will be eliminated. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 11-9-11

Remove one (1) check ball identified as X. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 11-9-11

Proper check ball locations on the remaining six (6) valve body check balls shown with arrows. (Figure 2)
Install transmission valve body. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BT4Z-7Z490-B Valve Body Separator Plate
7T4Z-7Z490-D Valve Body Separator Plate

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110911A 2009-2011 Edge And MKX: Replace The Separator Plate, Includes Time To Remove And Install Main Control, Remove Check Ball, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.0 Hrs.
110911A 2010-2011 Taurus And Flex 3.5L DOHC, MKS And MKT 3.7L, 2011 Explorer 3.5L: Replace The Separator Plate, Includes Time To Remove And Install Main Control, Remove Check Ball, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.0 Hrs.
110911A 2010-2011 Taurus, MKS, Flex, And MKT 3.5L GTDI: Replace The Separator Plate, Includes Time To Remove And Install Main Control, Remove Check Ball, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7A100 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

I haven't experienced this 'bump' but I have noticed that the Ex transmission seems to momentarily hesitate/pause when going from 'R' to 'D'. In other vehicles I've had this transition was almost instantaneous.

I haven't experienced this 'bump' but I have noticed that the Ex transmission seems to momentarily hesitate/pause when going from 'R' to 'D'. In other vehicles I've had this transition was almost instantaneous.

At least they provide a quick way to self-check for the possibility of this issue between build date, and the dipstick saying "MERCON® LV"

Is anyone experiencing this problem with an ex that was built after the TSB date [like me]?

2012 Explorer XLT Transmission issues

My explorer has been having intermittent transmission issues for a little over two months. Recently it has gotten to the point that it will not shift, making acceleration difficult. It just revs up the engine trying to get up to even 30 MPH. This car has very low miles, and my local dealership is telling me they won't give me a loaner even though this is under warranty. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, or encountered this issue?

My explorer has been having intermittent transmission issues for a little over two months. Recently it has gotten to the point that it will not shift, making acceleration difficult. It just revs up the engine trying to get up to even 30 MPH. This car has very low miles, and my local dealership is telling me they won't give me a loaner even though this is under warranty. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, or encountered this issue?
Welcome to the Forum S.Eubank. :wavey:
Regarding the loaner, if you check your Warranty Guide, you will see a part in there where it states that Ford is under no obligation to supply a loaner.
If you took out the ESP, then it would cover the cost to some degree.

As for the transmission issue there are a few threads on various problems and I am moving your post to one of them.
There is a TSB for sluggish acceleration;
11-12-10 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011.
I don't think it would apply to yours. There is also a longer thread on transmission issues;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316029&highlight=transmission

I would suggest that you reach out to the Ford rep (FordService) on this forum and send them a PM (private message). You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
The following info should be included; VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name.

Peter

Have any of you had a slight bump when you're accelerating and hesitation in shifts?

I've had that for a while now, happens sometimes but dealer can't duplicate it. They refuse to fix it even though there's a TSB on it.

Anything I can do to get them to fix it? I know there is a TSB and I know there's a fix and I want this problem gone.

Thanks.

What is the build date of your Explorer? Look on the placard on the door sill.

What is the build date of your Explorer? Look on the placard on the door sill.

My Explorer was an early build. It was like the 9,000th one built. The problem is the dealer needs to replicate it and I've tried many drives with them but they also refuse to go with me to a place I can duplicate it.

I had the transmission thump, and boy was it bad! The dealership could not duplicate the issue as it was very intermittent, but they performed the TSB anyway.

I'm happy to report that after having the work done, the transmission is smooth as silk now.

Build date: 03/2011

EDIT: Sorry foxtemple... I just realized you were looking for post TSB builds.

I feel your frustration! I am a Ford trans mechanic. Ford has gotten ridiculous about how we fix cars. For example focus transmissions have an issue with input seals leaking oil onto the clutch causing the clutch to slip. Ford wants us to slap new seals in it and CLEAN the clutch. How am I supposed to tell the customer with a strait face that his car has been fixed? I know its always the mechanics fault but sometimes our hands are tied. If the VIN number on your explorer does not have that TSB tied to it the TSB cant be performed.

My explorer has been having intermittent transmission issues for a little over two months. Recently it has gotten to the point that it will not shift, making acceleration difficult...

Hi S.Eubank,

I want to look into the ways I can best assist. To get started, send me a PM with your name, phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get to work! :)

Crystal

Intermittant Transmission Bump - Ford will not fix - Beware 2011 Explorer

After having it my 2011 XLT 2wd Explorer, all of a sudden every week or two when accelerating on a slight incline after slowing down for other traffic, the transmission has a huge bump (feels like I was hit from behind but sounds like a sledgehammer hits the bottom of the truck) and then lurches forward. it's totally random when it happens, been once a week sometimes, sometimes two weeks. And it doesn't get a lot of miles driven during that time. been to the dealer twice and they said they cannot do anything since they cannot replicate it in the short time they have it. I have a case # through Ford Customer Service who have tried to help, but pretty much stated that dealers are not owned by Ford so they cannot force them to fix it. The dealer said that they will not fix it until they can replicate it in case they try fixing something that may not be the issue and it ends up in court and they may be liable for fixing issues that may not be the root cause, so basically they will not do anything to cover their backsides. they even threw out today that it's all computerized and with all the fast up and downshifting that it goes through on a slowdown, it's something to be expected.
Now I'm stuck with a scary vehicle that my family now want to sell and buy another brand in fear of being stuck on the side of the road.
now my venting is over, just fed up and needed to voice my frustrations. (and start researching other brands)

Our 2011 has always done that since brand new, just seems the trans is between gears or shifts when letting off the gas and coasting then pushing the gas again and it slams into gear. It's pretty loud and violent but normal, mostly happens when slowing for a red light then the light turns green and rolling back on the gas and bang!

Mine has done it too. I had my service dept. reprogram the tranny and run it through the relearn process as it seems like it is confused on what gear to go in when you coast and then press the accelerator so it slams into gear. That worked for about 2 years and just recently started doing it again.

I find it happen when you are going between 40-50, coast down to 20-24 and then press the accelerator. That 20-24 mph I believe is between 2nd/3rd gear and that's the slamming we are feeling… it is picking a gear to hard.

Next time I'm in, I'll have them do a relearn again.

I am going to have to assume these are AWD vehicles. As I had a 2010 Taurus SHO we experienced a similar issue. turned out it was the power takeoff unit. It started off to be very random and increased in its intensity. It took a week at the dealer and I made the service manager drive it home everyday before he called me..."holy sh%^" You weren't kidding"..two days waiting on a part and we were on our way. Mel Hambilton Ford went the extra mile to keep me satisfied. Talk with your advisor and see if they can do something similar for you. Good luck, and remember no matter what you drive there will be issues. Play nice with the dealer employees it will take you far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After having it my 2011 XLT 2wd Explorer, all of a sudden every week or two when accelerating on a slight incline after slowing down for other traffic, the transmission has a huge bump...

...It's pretty loud and violent but normal, mostly happens when slowing for a red light then the light turns green and rolling back on the gas and bang!

Mine has done it too...

Hi gang,

Reach out to me after you get your Explorers in to the dealership; if you need my help, just send me a PM with your full name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership. I'll check out options to assist.

Crystal

Back